Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [WIP] Canthar: World Map

Wip Final Draft

Sorry it’s been a while since I last posted. I’ve been working on the plane view and coming up with the naming conventions.

I didn’t use any more unusual techniques to complete the rest of the map. I hope I’ve created something that you wouldn’t expect to have been created with CC3, so here’s the final draft for your comments and critiques.

I’d be happy to answer any questions I can, whether they’re about how I created any aspect of the map, or whether they’re about the setting itself.

For anyone who is interested in why Canthar is a world of floating continents, here's a bit of my world’s history to explain.

DMG

During the Golden Age of Nerath, Nerathian scholars and arcanists, delving into research that was beyond their comprehension, inadvertently opened several portals to the Far Realm and unwittingly released an ancient primordial called Rham-Tothlak the Scourgebringer, who was imprisoned there.

Rham-Tothlak exploded from the insanity of the Far Realm and immediately set about destroying the natural world. His release took the gods completely by surprise and they were painfully slow to move against him. Canthar was ripped apart in the terrible battle that ensued, but not before the gods managed to save several continent-sized chunks of the planetary crust and cast them adrift in an elemental demiplane known as the Endless Sky. Millions of mortals died in the conflict, leaving only a handful of survivors.

The destruction brought about during The Sundering caused part of the Shadowfell to plunge through the planar boundaries and pierce the Endless Sky like a dagger. Now the tip of a great Shadowfell continent protrudes into the mortal world amidst a roiling storm of unleashed necrotic energy called the “Dread Expanse”.

Ultimately, the gods defeated and destroyed Rham-Tothlak, but the struggle against him was so great the gods were left exhausted and powerless to help the mortals who had survived. They severed all mortal connections to the divine power source in an effort to conserve their dwindling strength, hoping such an act would help them recover.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CantharWorldMapFinalDraft.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	863.8 KB 
ID:	15747  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Cool stuff here...

...the only thing I don't care for all that much is the font (merely personal preference, no knock on your choice), I find it a bit difficult to read.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Tanks, SG (love the new avatar, btw!)

I imagined an arcane navigator made this map, and wanted a handwritten kinda font. The majority of fonts I have were just too unreadable when I tried them. This one was really a compromise and, I agree, some of the letters are difficult to make out. Any suggestions would be welcomed.

DMG

Nice job! Wouldn't have known you created it with CC3 if you hadn't said so. It's a run of the mill map anyway. Have some rep!
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

I've left this map for a while now. I'm happy with it, so I'll call it finished. I may go back to it as my campaign develops, but I don't know how that's going to unfold yet.

Thanks for your comments, guys.

DMG

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12