Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Barovia WIP

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Post Barovia WIP

Well, I decided not to give my hands a rest. I figure I may as well get this on the go while I still have the previous one fresh in my mind, I think I'll stand a better chance of getting the style right for a map from scratch.

Thanks to a comment from mearrin69, I decided to keep a similar theme going. I recall that the original version of Barovia did not have nearly so many rivers, and was pretty sparse for population, but this is going to be more of an interpretation than for accuracy

So this time I am actually taking the time to lay out the areas before I start. Yellow blobs are outlines of the mountainous areas, and blue would obviously be rivers I'm going to leave villages and such for last, see how much room there is vs what the style calls for. Plus the scale may be different than the original version of Barovia, but once again, hey why not.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	barovia copy.jpg 
Views:	368 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	17206  

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

You are one mean mapping machine
    So do you have some kind of artsy background?
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Actually I do.

Before I went to a day-job working as a chef (which ended up sapping all my energy, and killed my artistic drive) and then working as a call center manager (which sucked out even more of my soul) I was actually making and selling celtic art (but not enough to pay all the bills, and there were some other considerations that are part of a much longer story for another day).

I have a selection of pieces in the gallery here under my profile. It doesn't show off the carvings and stained glass style paintings and windows I'd done (nothing like ascension's work, these were either painted on walls to look like stained glass windoes, or done with glass paints and such) but it gives an idea of what I used to do There's a few other pieces on deviantart, too, if you're interested, plus some higher quality versions of a fiew pieces from the galler here.

Laying out celtic knotwork patterns and illuminated carpet pages and such is actually just as much technical as it is artistic, which is I think what gave me a decent foundation for getting into mapping - I just needed the time and inclination

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Well I think we're all glad that you found both...
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Yeah. I'm sooo ready to steal this for my home game when you get it done! Looking forward to watching your progress on this one.

In the newer Wizards Expedition to Castle Ravenloft, Barovia just has one river...the Tser. I think the regional map there is really zoomed in - the original might cover more real estate. Apart from I6 wasn't the whole thing set in a demi-plane or something? I was never introduced to Ravenloft during the old days (I was on gaming hiatus through 2E's lifetime.)
    M

The Demiplane of Dread, as it was called.

I didn't worry about specifics when I moved my group into it from Greyhawk, but yes, there were some pretty extensive maps. The entire thing was approximately small continent sized (australia-ish). Comparing the latitude lines on the side, I *definitely* need to rework the border scale, the way it is, it's about 4x the size of transyvlania - that'll teach me to draw in the border before comparing sizes

I did finally (after almost an hour of searching) find a scan of the original map of the entire demiplane. There were plenty of artistic re-interpretations, but most of them were far too busy and cluttered for my tastes, and I'd rather work off the original map than something someone else has re-imagined. Though to be honest, this doesn't *quite* match up to my memory (I don't recall a sea off to the east) but it's the closest I could find. Good enough for what I'm doing, i suppose

http://utopiaweb.org/rpg/ravenloft/i...small_seas.jpg

I've got several of the mountains done, and I'm taking a bit more time to get them looking just right - and so far it's worth it. I'll post an update soon, right now I have to go out and run errands for the day.

Well, i *tried* to get some sleep early last night. bloody maps

My finished maps

Hmmm...I may play around with that just to see what I can do with it.

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Wip

Yeah, I think the mountain practice on the last map has paid off.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mntn-thumb.jpg 
Views:	305 
Size:	151.9 KB 
ID:	17215  

My finished maps

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

That looks fantastic!

Very nice Cmax!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast