Thread: Heyo!

Praise Heyo!

I just stumbled upon this site the other day, and just got the chance to sign up for it this morning! I must say, I am impressed by the quality of people in this community, and I mean in all respects - not just the artwork level!

Hello! My name is Dan, and I am a student of Champlain College in Burlington, VT. Occupation wise, I have done work as a 3D game production artist on several indie projects and have had the luck to get my hand into some triple-A titles the past two years! In my spare time I enjoy to paint in Photoshop and to play the bass-guitar.

I look forward to contributing!

EDIT: Looking around at other "HELLO!" threads, I think I should follow suit and post some recent work! They're not cartography, but hell, that's what I'm here to participate in now!

A quick sketch from the past few days:
    http://i589.photobucket.com/albums/s...t004_step2.jpg
    http://i589.photobucket.com/albums/s...p2_closeup.jpg

A painting a finished a week and a half ago: (EDIT: Oops, this isn't the super-final version, but it's close enough xD)
    http://i589.photobucket.com/albums/s...dwallpaper.jpg
    Last edited by danPV; 07-03-2009 at 09:59 AM.

Welcome to the guild!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!

Looking forward to seeing what you can do.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Blog Entries

Your work looks good so I am sure you will find maps no problem. Interesting software list there with Maya and using x64 stuff. I was told that Gimp had an x64 version too and there's a link to it somewhere on this site. Id be interested in your opinion of Blender coming from a Maya experienced background too. Seems to me that the app is quite powerful but has some UI issues so whats Maya like in that respect. I had the PLE edition once but never took time out to delve into it. I use light wave occasionally so its a bit different and I guess I am used to the way it does things.

NeonKnight/SteelGeneral: Thank you. I can't wait to get some work pumped out!

Redrobes: Ahahh, Blender. Truth be told, I am still learning it. Maya, however, is my first love (fourth if you actually count women but... that's not the forum for this!). I must say I was shocked by how steep the learning curve was for Blender. However, I continue to work in it and give it a chance (that it deserves). I do this, primarily, because I am told its workflow is faster than Maya's once you learn it. Of course, that requires learning it. With that said, it's quirky but powerful. In the end, as a production artist, it does not matter what software you use, so long as you can produce amazing results (preferably in a reasonable deadline)! It's also hard to learn how to use a software package AND to improve your artistic ability at once. It's just a pain and it takes a truckload of effort. Maya will be my app of choice until Blender can prove it is faster and easier to produce awesome results with.

The nice thing about Maya is that once you learn that, you already know (though loosely) the fundamental UI mechanics of 3dsMax and Softimage XSI. Learning Blender AND Maya? You can handle any 3D app. ZBrush is another animal altogether, though, I must warn!
    Last edited by danPV; 07-03-2009 at 02:00 PM.
    -pV

Blog Entries

I asked about for some guidance and nobody only one or two had made any progress with it so I started to learn it and blogged it here. I am sure your further along than I since I go the feeling that Blender was trying to be the open source Maya and had probably done some things to copy stuff. Anyway - in case it helps... here is my shot. Add to it by all means.

http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=3103

beautiful stuff, danPV!

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Welcome to the guild...that tree is way cool and I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who draws comic book superhero dudes.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Funny story, Ascension: that's actually the 16' war-forged I had my campaign fight two weeks ago.

töff: Thank you!

Redrobes: I have some suggestions I'll add to the thread later. I am still learning too, so I will poke a friend of mine to hop on here and post some stuff as well.
    -pV

Blog Entries

Welcome Dan! Love your art. When I was ten I lived on Lake Champlain up in Swanton in a cabin right on (over) the lake. It was a pretty hefty little cliff we had there, but I loved to go down to the water and skip shale pieces on the water when it was calm.

I remember going to Berry (Barry?) with my class one year to see the granite quarries. That was cool. Lovely state, Vermont, but I don't miss the winters down here in Florida.