Thread: My First Map/Submission

Post My First Map/Submission

So, after learning the hard way to keep your hand on ctrl-s and press it after every click- I am done with my first map attempt.

The brown is farmland, and that straight river is a man-made aqueduct.
    Each settlement has symbols around it that correspond to that city's main role in the kingdom (farming, mining, trade, fishing, etc.)

Do you have any criticisms and suggestions for me before I start my 'real' campaign map? Also, I suck at naming things, so suggestions for the region name, and city names are very welcome.

Thanks!
    P.S. Anyone know how to get rid of the guide line (the one that shows up while you create a road) when you are done with it in CC3?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Map 1.PNG 
Views:	176 
Size:	4.66 MB 
ID:	14637  

Guild Apprentice

You're off to a great start!

As far as the line goes, maybe Daniel the resident "expert" can help you out. It's never shown up in any of my maps and I'm not sure why it's showing in yours.

I really like your map and you get extra points for actually using the waterfall symbol in a place/way that makes sense.

The pointers that I can give are...

Use the "snaps" options to set your lines up. If you use the "nearest point on" snap it will place the end of your smaller streams directly on the larger tributary.

Use a mountain bitmap fill behind your mountains to give a slightly different feel to the mountain at the north.

Finally, If your scale bar is correct then the city complex around the bay at the south spans a few hundred miles and would therefore house nearly half a billion people! Yikes!!! A quick fix for this would be to lose the scale bar. Another fix would be to change it. My impression of this map is that it's a relatively small, isolated peninsula, on the west coast of a large island/continent.

Thanks!
    I will definitely use all of those suggestions in my next map!
    I originally had snaps on, however it tended to snap to the mountains oddly when I was starting new tributaries, so i ditched it.
    The scale is way off because I didn't really know what to use for dimensions when I started. I didn't even look twice at the scale bar, but really, these are all about the details, so I will be more careful next time!
    Thanks Again.
    Last edited by amoliski; 02-10-2012 at 01:52 PM.

Guild Journeyer

Quote Originally Posted by amoliski View Post
    So, after learning the hard way to keep your hand on ctrl-s and press it after every click-
    Hahaha. It hurts because it's true. Still, it's always faster to do it the second time around. And by the third, you really have it down!

Nice start.