Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Finished City Map Suggestions?

Guild Apprentice Revivalofhonor's Avatar

Awesome, thanks a bunch for all the suggestions guys I'm currently trying to find a style for the lettering that i feel looks good on the map. <_< truly after I added all the building fill i kinda forgot about the text lol

~Alex

a couple of things:

first, exellent job so far. you're doing great. the whole thing looks good except for a couple of nitpicks and oddities.
    try to keep the drop shadows off the buildings and make them all one color, and less blurry. also, the background layer you have for the buildings seems unnecessary. simple is always better.
    next, put the road layer underneath the walls and add a couple of towers or gatehouses to the walls where the roads break through them. i bleieve someone may have already said something about that. they look transparent or hazy, kill the transparency and make them solid.
    about the words, i find a black text with a white outline works best. the font looks fine, no problems there, but you could make it easier to read.
    the forests look good, i wouldn't change a thing about that.

all in all, it's a great map that could look a little better if you clean it up some. sorry, just nitpicking. it looks like you've done a lot of work. keep it going and keep posting.

Guild Apprentice Revivalofhonor's Avatar

thanks a ton for all the responses guys, I've gone through adjusted some things and wanted to post up the changes

some major things
    - removed building background and solidified building color
    - removed wall transparency and added towers/gaps where roads pass through
    - as this town is situated between two warring nations and is kinda of neutral point both are vying for, added some damage to the outer walls to make it appear as they have seen some action
    - added white styling to font to make it easier to read

Thanks a bunch for the suggestions and ideas guys
    ~Alex
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	start_225.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	126.7 KB 
ID:	463  

Guild Apprentice Facebook Connected

I know you've probably laid this aside by now, but I just pulled it back up and I was thinking. You see those rocks down at the bottom? Why not sprinkle those around some more of the coastline? It seems a little off just having them in that one area and I'd imagine it'd have a cool effect to have more areas with those shallow rocks.

Just a thought.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12