Thread: WIP - Continent/Island

Post WIP - Continent/Island

Hello everyone, this is my first post (yay!). I have been lurking for a while reading all the how to threads and learning slowly. So this morning I started following Pasis's Creating Mountains and Terrain.

I worked on this for about 4 hours, still have a lot of things to do. In my vision as I was learning (Tons of trial and error), I was also getting a feel for how the land looked.

C&C welcome

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WIP 1.jpg 
Views:	991 
Size:	216.7 KB 
ID:	14642  

Looks like you're off to a good start with those mountains. Assuming this is still in early development (and because I am certainly no expert at this ) about the only "criticism" I have would be with the water texture. There is a tiling issue and, at least for me, the "waves" look way too large for the comparative land mass in question. Still, a fine start and the mountains look good to me so far.

GW
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Quote Originally Posted by Greason Wolfe View Post
    There is a tiling issue and, at least for me, the "waves" look way too large for the comparative land mass in question. Still, a fine start and the mountains look good to me so far.

GW
    Yes, that is actually the next step breaking that up and/or if I don't like how it comes out will switch to another larger water texture.

and yes, very early in development

One way to break up the water tiling is to have several different layers on to of each other. Then put the layer blending mode to multiply or soft light and you will get the textures kinda building on top of each other.

You seem to use Azureus texture which has really strong colors / texture in it and you want to break it up.
    The result.jpg is a quick a sample where I added layer with quite basic blue color at the bottom and then set the Azureus layer as soft light with 70% opacity. Then added a new layer on top and rendered clouds into it setting it to soft light too with 70% opacity.

This is a nondestructive process, so you can play around and always go back to the original if you don't like the outcome.

You could also use bigger textures and be able to use stronger textures without tiling effect. This way you don't necessarily have to do that much tweaking with the textures. Genetica Viewer gives you 2048x2048 textures which is pretty good. I personally like tweaking the textures as it will give you unique result.

Name:	Start.jpg 
Views:	611 
Size:	197.4 KB 
ID:	14644   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Result-2.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	155.5 KB 
ID:	14646  

I updated to a new (unique) water texture, not ready to show a new WIP but figured I would offer it up as part of the entire progress of this map. (Just in case others might want to use it)

I still see a bit to much repetition for my liking though and think perhaps the dullness of your second texture might be something for me to aim for. I also created a layer mask for the coast line to allow for easier testing different textures.

Edit:
    After playing around with the edited texture I decided to go with creating my own from the ground up and have to say, like the results for the sea. Here is the texture (300 DPI, 2048x2048, Seamless) I am also keeping the older texture here just in case someone want to use it for something.

Name:	Water_new.jpg 
Views:	349 
Size:	273.2 KB 
ID:	14653   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Water 2.jpg 
Views:	702 
Size:	603.1 KB 
ID:	14654  
    Last edited by Vascant; 07-06-2009 at 09:57 PM.