Thread: A Newbie question - who is using Adobe Photoshop Elements?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Post A Newbie question - who is using Adobe Photoshop Elements?

Hello dear all,

...I am a total Newbie in painting good looking maps - in past and currently I use only pen and paper and Inkscape. I created maps for private use in my fantasy roleplay games. Now I will improve my map painting. I tested in the last weeks some programms for Mac - f. e. Seashore, Gimp, Pixelmator, Corel 11 (which is the last nativ Corel for Mac) and Adobe Photoshop Elements 6; and at the moment I prefer Adobe's application. I find some interesting plug ins - like Grant tools for PSE 6; there I get a plugin that I can use masks and other interesting things on in PSE 6 and other more - a great software extension for PSE 6.

Unfortunately I am not a student :-), so at the moment I am not sure, that Adobe's Photoshop CS4 is the best solution. The price here in Germany is not really fine; the cheapest price is EUR 910,00. And older versions like PS 7 needs the classic OS 9 system (which I can not install on Intel Mac) or CS2 (is not supported in Leopard, the current OS) by Adobe does not really work fine. And - I only need this programm for maps, I am not really interested in photos or so. Due to these reasons I try now to use the small brother of the big CS.

My question here - who uses Adobe PSE, too? Who made maps with this application? Do anyone have tutorials to create maps with PSE (many settings from the tutorials for PS CS does not really work in PSE)?

Thank you
    & best regards

Vanderil

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

There are several folks here who use PSE with great results - unfortunately I am not one of them.

I'm sure someone will be along who actually does use it to answer any questions you may have.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Hello Steel General,

thank you - and as I see I need to save my money ;-)

Best regards

Vanderil

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

There are a handful of people who have come up with some work-arounds for PSE that cannot be done with what I use PS. The only thing I can tell you is to try out some of the tutorials and then those who have figured things out will hopefully stop by to help you. Either that or read a lot of posts here
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

If I'm not mistaken Bohunk is a Elements user, you may want to look for stuff by him -and good stuff it is.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.