Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OPEN CALL: NEVERMET PRESS Looking For Cartographers

Post OPEN CALL: NEVERMET PRESS Looking For Cartographers

Nevermet Press is a new publishing company launched on July 6th that uses crowd sourcing, creative networking, and profit sharing to develop system neutral RPG gaming products. We currently have over 20 writers and five artists who are participating as Content Developers, but we want to expand considerably. While we do not pay commissions up front, these positions are work-for-hire positions that will pay royalties quarterly on a pro rata basis for product profit margins for as long as the product is in publication. Our website is also considered a "product", and once we kick in our freemium subscription service, all CDs will share in the revenue we generate. Currently, we are establishing our web presence and will be moving into PDF and print products later this year.

WRITERS: We are looking for several writers who are interested in fantasy, steampunk, scifi, or modern genres and who are capable of developing content independent of any one game system. Structured Fiction is what some are calling it.

CARTOGRAPHERS: We are looking for 3 or 4 cartographers who would be able to produce one _decent_ map per month. These maps will be everything from small-scale combat "encounter maps" for RPGs, all the way up to large scale region/continental world maps as needed.

ARTISTS: We are looking for several artists who are interested in fantasy, steampunk, scifi, or modern genres to do B&W and color illustrations for a variety of roleplaying game topics.

Our first publication cycle, The Desire, launched on Monday, July 6th and will feature 13 articles and illustrations by about a dozen different content developers. Internally, we are finishing up the development of cycle 2 (later half of July), and beginning the content development for cycles for August. Our main goal at this point is to expand our readership by providing quality content on a daily basis.

If you like working with a dymanic group that offers lots of flexibility, maximum creativity, and minimal "client input" - please send a cover letter and a sample of your work to jonathan.jacobs@gmail.com. In addition, you may want to check out www.nevermetpress.com to get an idea as to what we are doing.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

I think many people here will be interested in this. Can I request a little more information? The obvious question here is pay. How are you generating revenue? You refer to a 'freemium subsrciption service'. What is this? What degree of revenue are you aiming to generate (realistically!)?

The next question is how the profits will be divided. What percentage of these profits would go to the cartographer who created a battlemap in a given month?

I know you guys have done some pretty serious projects in the past (Open Gametable and the Core Mechanic spring to mind) so I'm sure this is well thought through. I'd be glad of any expansion on the compensation that could be expected from involvement in the project.

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected zhar2's Avatar

Sounds interesting, and one map per month isnt trouble at all, for the artist bit im ok at nearlly everyting though my human figure isnt so dynamic to where id like it to be.

Guilds used to fix prices. At the mention of pay, are we all clamoring to underbid each other by private email?

ABout revenue/royalties -- content developers get paid on a pro rata basis according to how much they contribute. Writers get 30% of the profits divided by word count; Artists/Cartographers also get 30% divided by "shares". Each art piece or map is assigned a share value, which is used to determine the break down of profit sharing. In general, each 1/4 page B&W illustration is worth one share, larger color pieces or big 50 x 120 maps (joking) are worth more. Each piece is assigned a share in the contracts. I should add .. to clarify.. that NMP is currently not earning any revenue. Our first objective is to build a reader base for the website, in a month or so we will launch a freemium community support plan where people can choose to pay a small monthly fee for additional bennies (high res versions of the art and maps, custom content, additional forum privileges, access to the content developers forum, etc). But all the online content will be freely available. Once we launch that serve, we then will begin to produce PDFs for download (likely for free for subscribers) or for purchase through RPGNow and Kindle, all with the goal of everything supporting our first book, The Villain Manual, which we want to publish early next year (Xmas is not going to happen, we all have real jobs that limit the time we could put in). Studio2Publishing is our distributor.

did I miss anything?

There's more information in the Nevermet Press forums - go here

http://nevermetpress.com/forum/gener...evelopers-faq/

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Cheers, Jonathan.

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Thanks for the clarification Jonathan. That covers all my questions. Other members here may have others. I'm too busy to pitch in, but best of luck with the venture - it sounds really interesting.

Blog Entries

It sounds like a superb set up really. I think I am too busy to commit to a project like that as I can barely get a compo map out each month here. Still, there may be a requirement for a map which I could do so unless your set upon having the same set of mappers do all the art then it might be good to post here now and again with the map list requirements. I take it that you have some stories or villain location maps that need doing to some kind of spec. Its probably worth looking through our finished map list too...

http://www.cartographersguild.com/ut...nishedMaps.htm

and seeing if any of the posted maps fit perfectly and then seek out the artist to check if the art could be used. There's also all of the competition entries too:

http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...15&postcount=2

My little ditty for my site is "Share the Vision" since I write a VTT. But what its all really about is that we should all share our work (maps and adventures) so that we don't keep redoing it over and over which is the way it has been for some time now. The setup that your doing sounds like a great example of collecting up all that work and finding a sensible method of distributing it with fair return. This is what I think WotC should have steered their model towards to make DM'ing easier so that there were many more roleplayers about all buying their books. So very best of luck with it.

Quote Originally Posted by töff View Post
    Guilds used to fix prices. At the mention of pay, are we all clamoring to underbid each other by private email?
    Toff that very same thought occured to me (ha ha and the Guild would normally get a percentage too - for which read a contribution to Arcana's running costs for the hosting the site). Let me speak to the other CLs about this, although I fear that enforcement will be toothless as if people wanted to undercut the most we could do is to ban that person from the guild and that's getting into murky territory and I'm not sure if price cartels are in the spirit of what we are trying to do here

Seriously, it would be nice to see more 'gracious donors' to the site in recognition of Arcana's outlay to make this place available to all of us and the time we spend here.

p.s. Eeep: just noticed that you're not one!

enforcement will be toothless
    It would probably drive members away ... members like, oh, maybe me ...

would be nice to see more 'gracious donors' ... just noticed that you're not one!
    Guilty as charged, primarily due to all-but-empty pockets. I pledge to take the next $20 that anybody donates to the sites I run, and pass it straight to CG. Or if I ever pick up a commission off here, I'll split it 50-50. (Somebody remind me of that, if the day ever comes!)

But you know what ... it'd be awesome if every commission solicited thru this site got a voluntary 10% tithe from the bid winner. Maybe in addition to 'generous donor' CG might create a category called, um ... well I dunno what it would be called. Taxpayer?

Post Just to mention...

Just thought I'd mention to you, that I don't strive to under bid other Cartographers. I've been told by four small publishers, that I am more expensive than most offering bids for pro cartography work, yet I still get commissions (and from all four of them too). So I don't worry about my price, even if its seemingly higher than most, I am still buried in commission work.

For example, I only did one map for Mongoose. Once they told me what they wanted to pay, I said, "no, thank you." and went on my way to other publishers.

GP

PS: too busy to get involved with this project, though.

PPS: more and more publishers find my site directly and contact me from there, I hardly get commissions from here anymore. Though I might do another kickback to the CG, once Kaidan gets going - that's kind of expensive for me at the moment.
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 07-08-2009 at 10:48 PM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast