Thread: A few hand-drawn WIPs

Wip A few hand-drawn WIPs

I've been lurking again and found inspiration in the various works posted here and figured I'd return the favor with a few samples of my own. My original drawings are too large to fit on the scanner so these are just portions. They remain WIPs until I manage to scan them in entirely and label them. I'm not very digitally-literate so these will remain unfinished until I learn the editing software; I'm working hard toward that goal so I hope it won't be too long. I'm planning on creating a few fonts out of my own handwriting and calligraphy in order to use them on my maps, In the past I've labeled my work manually but I grew tired of having to redo entire drawings because I messed up on a single label
    1. This is a small towne surrounded by a palisade.
    2. This is one of my older works (finished in 1998 )
    3. A towne and it's accompanying keep on a group of small islands.
    4. A city on a peninsula seperated from the inland by a mountain.
    5. A secret city for smugglers and pirates built within the hollow of an extinct volcanic island.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dhallon.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	256.4 KB 
ID:	14743   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Diodet.jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	327.4 KB 
ID:	14744   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Island towne.jpg 
Views:	288 
Size:	200.9 KB 
ID:	14745   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Peninsula City.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	373.8 KB 
ID:	14746   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Smuggler's City.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	240.7 KB 
ID:	14747  

Pretty nice drawings.. have some rep for those.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Neat stuff...
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Hot damn, that's an enviable skill if I've ever seen one. Nice work.

awesome! you should take them to your local print shop and get some decent high resolution scans if you want to transport them to digital!
    Adam Schmidt
    Illustration and Cartography
    http://www.misteradam.com

The dedication and finessing needed to draw large maps like that by hand is impressive!

Wow! Your hand drawn work exceeds excellence! I wish I had your talent - and your patience!
    jaerdaph
    JUST ADD HEROES An ICONS Superpowered Roleplaying Game Blog by Joe "jaerdaph" Bardales

Thank you all for the positive feedback! It actually means a lot coming from others interested in cartography.
    I've been a draftsman since 1986, and that experience is where I've developed my patience and the precise style. Although I do have a lot of tolerance for repetitive work, when I draw a map that requires 12 or more hours of hatching I often wonder "what was I thinking?!"...
    One thing I've learned is that even if I can't duplicate another person's artwork, as someone who appreciates it, I am still qualified to criticize it. That's something I'd like to hear from you all, my fellow cartographers and gamers. I produce my work with the intention of it being sold or published, therefore I need my maps to meet the criteria of those that will be using them. If you see something that needs clarification, improvement, elimination, or whatever else, please feel free to let me know.