Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New City, New Member

Map New City, New Member

Hi all,

I love this site! There is a great mix of pros and enthusiasts, and excellent talent.

The map below is the commercial center of a large imperial colony. High Forge is nestled in a valley on the river Mir where a canal connects two dramatic river bends.

The original file is huge and mostly made in illustrator. I had it printed at Kinkos on a 3x3 foot canvas, it made a great campaign prop for my D&D players.

I hope you like it, and when I finish the seat of the Empire, Ill be sure to post it here.

best,
    -Kelly
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	High Forge 1.jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	1.73 MB 
ID:	14688  

That city's doomed. When rivers loop like that, the loops eventually meet.

Cool map! and welcome

Hi Toff, thanks for the welcome!

High Forge is doomed long before the river bends meet, since the adventures have arrived; an entire district has burned down, giant stones have inexplicably fallen from the sky just to create undead where they land, and an insane gnome tinkerer almost destroyed Arcana. It's like everywhere the party goes, bad things happen, weird hu?

Ya, why watch doom unfold in geologic time when you can just wipe out a city in a day or two!

Welcome...
    That's some beautiful work you have there. Have some reputation!
    I really like the layout and colors. It must have taken you quite a few hours to create this
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Hi Gandwarf, thanks for the welcome and the rep.

The map took a while, maybe 16 hours, but most of that was figuring out illustrator methods and exploring visual vocabulary. As far as inspiration, the older Free City of GreyHawk was huge.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!

I like the map, but was wondering why you have toe pentagonal shape around/on the compass rose?
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Blog Entries

Excellent and rep worthy.

Reall cool map, I love the city design. Would be great to see it with labels. My only query: no bridges?

Quote Originally Posted by Larb View Post
    Reall cool map, I love the city design. Would be great to see it with labels. My only query: no bridges?
    That was my question to. Why no bridges?

Also if you dig a canal from one river loop to the other then one of the rivers is doomed. It will flow through the canal to the one taking the way of least resistance. In the process it would widen the canal and dig away a fair bit of your city. That process wouldn't take a geological time, it would probably happen quite fast.

Of course you can just say 'fantasy world with magic' and hand wave that problem away.
    ---
    Gorkamorka

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast