Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Jartor - Commission request

Post Jartor - Commission request

This is a city map requested by Duerma here. I really like the thought and history that Duerma has put in the city (cool names too) and the demands are pretty flexible on what Duerma wants.

I'm going to try to use the Lazy man's city style I did here to try and make it reasonably quickly. I just have to remember how I did the lazy man's city now, lol!

I'll post WIPs as I go along. The first stage is to get the roads, buildings and negative space sorted. The city is broken up into neighbourhoods, I'm going to try and map it neighbourhood by neighbourhood, trying to give each it's own character, but quickly.

Anyway here's the first half hour's work. I'll probably texture the backgrounds like the roads, greenery and mountains towards the end. The first image is Duerma's sketch (there is an errata in that the landmass is supposed to extend to the right off where it currently is. The second are the buildings of the Tanner's quarter largely complete. It's a lower class area so the buildings are small and hovel-like. There are other lower class areas and I'm wondering how to differentiate them from this one...colour I guess. Suggestions and C&Cs welcomed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jartor.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	257.4 KB 
ID:	14706   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jartor 090709 copy.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	330.3 KB 
ID:	14707  

EEEEEEE. I'm so excited! Thank you so much for this.

As for differentiating the lower class areas, I sort of imagined that maybe the Bluffwarrens and Crags might have been built into the sides or hills and cliffs, so that some of the lower class residences would be basically caves with a door in front. Just an idea!

Looking nice so far. I'm very interested in the mosaic-to-houses technique, so looking forward to seeing your progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Duerma View Post
    EEEEEEE. I'm so excited! Thank you so much for this.

As for differentiating the lower class areas, I sort of imagined that maybe the Bluffwarrens and Crags might have been built into the sides or hills and cliffs, so that some of the lower class residences would be basically caves with a door in front. Just an idea!
    I was afraid you'd say that

My pleasure...just finsished the basics of the docks (more of the same but in a different colour) I'll post again when I progress to the middle classes.

Alfar: the mosaic technique is basically just a third party mosaic filter (Xenoflex) and a bevel and emboss layer effect. Unfortunately the native PS mosaic just can't get the same sort of 'housey look'.

I know the technique, I'm interested in what you're going to do to it on top... I'm working on a gimp script that'd build a town around the streets I draw based on the mosaic filter, over here.

The mountains surrounding the city were begining to scare me, so I thought I'd do a quick texture test to see if I could get that 'cave look' in the bluffwarrens and the crags...I can see them in my mind's eye (great descriptive names, Beth) but how to do them quickly is the hard part.... I'm thinking Pasis's mountain technique might be better but it's more time...

Name:	Jartor 090709 copy textures.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	2.09 MB 
ID:	14709  

Quote Originally Posted by Alfar View Post
    I know the technique, I'm interested in what you're going to do to it on top... I'm working on a gimp script that'd build a town around the streets I draw based on the mosaic filter, over here.
    Ah thanks, I'd missed that thread. I'll take a closer look.

I like the cliffs Ravells!
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Looks good so far Ravs
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Trying to get the bluff warrens (the housing to the extreme left) to look like they're sort of built into the mountain. I think with a bit more texture mixing it could look pretty good. Not sure about the middle class district housing size and density but I'm hoping that will come through once I start putting in garden textures etc.

Well...it may not be all that pretty but it's quick! Computer is seriously slowing down though...I think that maybe because I've loaded 2,500 fonts by accident after my last crash/reinstall (had three this week)...yuck.

Gotta love Genetica though ... fine textures.

Name:	Jartor 090709 copy textures1.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	2.17 MB 
ID:	14714  

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast