Thread: Hello

Post Hello

I thought since my first post wasn't in here, I had better stop back and put something up here!

I'm pretty much incompetent when it comes to maps, I've been making them for many, many years, but I have never really gotten any better at it.

In a former life I did game design, but I never could get the knack for the art end of the field.

I've mostly created dungeons first using graph paper, then Dundjinni and another-Freeware-one-that-I-cant-think-of-the-name-of, now I have mostly been using (tilesets in) Maptools, as I run the client for many games.

For "world maps" I have generally used Gimp and Paint.

However browsing around here has been inspiring to say the least, now if I could just turn my finger paints into renoirs', I would be set.

Blog Entries

I think it's safe to say that most of us don't have much in the way of artistic talent in the traditional sense (although quite a few do). I don't think that that is a serious impediment though when it comes to cartography. I think imagination is probably a more valuable tool, not to mention patience and research.

This forum does open new worlds though, doesn't it

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Welcome. Most of the time artistic talent gets in the way, we tend to pretty things up or overdo things. The main function of a map is to provide information about the world but we always get carried away with ourselves. Simpler is better but for me I never seem to remember that part
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.