Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Nihon - Clan Imbe grounds

Wip Nihon - Clan Imbe grounds

As this rough sketch is somewhat similar to the WIP I posted before, I must make a difference between the two: 1 000 000 miles. That's how much I've gone further in this whole process. New software, new techniques and sh*tloads of hours until I even got this far (and it's still not finished.. and probably won't be in some time).

The map has evolved to a whole new (school) project, and I'm planning to to make a version of it (www-page), where you can view some positions from another angle etc, take a closer look of the important buildings and so on (rendered scene shots). I'll be updating this thread from time to time, so you can follow how the project is coming together.

Software used: Vue, GeoControl2 (beta)

ps. the buildings etc are way out of proportion and not layed out properly.. That's done on purpose as I just wanted to illustrate some city areas of the map.

EDIT: added a small candy for you (pic 2)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ClanImbe-sketch1.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	304.8 KB 
ID:	11195   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ClanImbe-sunset.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	344.2 KB 
ID:	11222  
    Last edited by Jykke; 03-13-2009 at 11:51 AM. Reason: added some candy for you

Well done Jykke. Lovely map. The colours are really atmospheric and the iso view allows you to really show off the height field and the mountain, which by the way looks spectacular. I'm glad to hear you are going to be adding more detail, because it may need some. I look forward to seeing your progress with this.

Torq
    The internet! It\'ll never catch on.

Software Used: Terranoise, Wilbur, Terragen, The Gimp, Inkscape, Mojoworld

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

This gets a "holy frejoles!" from me...fantabulous. Guess I'm gonna have to check out Vue and GeoControl. Well done.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Very cool and very much rep worthy *bonk*
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

That's really spectacular. When you're done with this I can bet a few people here would be interested in finding out how you made this.

That's pretty spiffy. I messed around a bit with Terragen 1 and still do some Terragen 2 now and again, but I've never really tried any other 3D terrain program. I believe I may check these programs out as well.

Torq: Well done Jykke. Lovely map. The colours are really atmospheric and the iso view allows you to really show off the height field and the mountain, which by the way looks spectacular. I'm glad to hear you are going to be adding more detail, because it may need some. I look forward to seeing your progress with this.
    Thank you for your encouraging words. The colors aren't final just yet, but I planned to add some dry areas (yellow/brownish) around the mountain tops and on the bottom of the valley. I might even dynamically populate some forest areas if the end result is worth the trouble. As you said, the iso view really works in highlighting the mountains and illustrating the height field, which actually is of the main tasks of this map. I might add a river on the right side of the map if my skills are enough for the task (..to get a satisfying result).

Steel General:Very cool and very much rep worthy *bonk*
    Thanks!

torstan: That's really spectacular. When you're done with this I can bet a few people here would be interested in finding out how you made this.

Ascension: This gets a "holy frejoles!" from me...fantabulous. Guess I'm gonna have to check out Vue and GeoControl. Well done.
    Thank you There's quite many related tutorials for vue and geocontrol already out there. But I'll keep in mind what I've done here and maybe create a tutorial based on this project.

overlordchuck: That's pretty spiffy. I messed around a bit with Terragen 1 and still do some Terragen 2 now and again, but I've never really tried any other 3D terrain program. I believe I may check these programs out as well.
    Thanks! I tried terragen also, but somehow I seemed to get better results with GeoControl2 beta. It has some really nice functions that will rock your terrain. (Actually I have to admit that learning GeoControl 2 beta was really a pain in the *ss.. maybe reading the user guide would have helped a bit. )

Hmmm...I've downloaded GeoControl 2 Beta and I'm attempting to figure it out. I subsequently learned that my computer is FAR too slow to do any useful renders through Vue. Ah well. I guess I'll have to wait until I can afford my own laptop.

By the way, the in-world tidbit is really great.

Quote Originally Posted by overlordchuck View Post
    Hmmm...I've downloaded GeoControl 2 Beta and I'm attempting to figure it out. I subsequently learned that my computer is FAR too slow to do any useful renders through Vue. Ah well. I guess I'll have to wait until I can afford my own laptop.

By the way, the in-world tidbit is really great.
    There's a video tutorial you can download for GeoControl2 beta and it's isolines: http://www.cajomi.de/Forum/showthread.php?t=384 It will guide you trough the basics.

Vue 7 Requirements:

Windows

* Windows 2000/XP/XP64/Vista 32/64,
    * 2GHz Pentium IV or better processor,
    * 1GB of free RAM (2GB recommended),
    * 200 MB of free Hard Disk space,
    * 1024x768 in 65K colors/16 bits (24+ bits recommended).

I personally think that this is definately the minium hardware setup for vue 7. Multicore processor would be a really big bonus, 2-4GB RAM should do the trick if you plan to do complex scenes. I have a computer similar to the requirement specs above, and sometimes the program gets a bit too heavy.. But the render times for scenes that aren't that complex are still far far less than on bryce 5.5 for example.

A small update:

I have fought several days with geocontrol and vue.. so this is an illustration of the rivers I plan to have on my final map. It's a quick render done in geocontrol2 and you can see that I have also modified the terrain a bit more and added some mountains on the right side of the map.

I appreciate any feedback you can give about the looks and feel of this riversystem ( /terrain).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	water.JPG 
Views:	66 
Size:	112.0 KB 
ID:	11402  

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast