Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: *** July 09 Challenge - Enchantment***

Post *** July 09 Challenge - Enchantment***

The theme of this month's challenge is enchantment.

We are are looking for a magical map, the kind that maybe held you as a child that you saw in an illustrated book or maybe the more scary type.

Rich colours, places which suggest an otherwordliness....the choice is yours...we want a map which spells and epitomises the word 'enchantment' and what it means to you.

It's a short timeframe this month so this is the only restriction.

Enchant us.

That is quite a restriction though...
    Something witty and pithy

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I hope I can get some time to do this in the next two weeks.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Journeyer

Hummm, I've been playing around with a concept for a system of magic to use in a game, which involved a complex mapping of ideas and elemental powers,... Wonder if that could make the cut,...

Something that popped into my mind would be an Arabian Nights themed map, or perhaps one based on Greek mythology, though I'm not sure that the latter would fit the "magic" or "enchanted" theme, similar with a map of the Nibelungenlied.

Then again I don't know if I'd have the time at the moment, anyways.

Post Sounds easy!

It says create a map that is enchanting to you, so why does everybody's post seem to be a question "does this idea of mine qualify as enchanting" - and the answer is "yes" the restriction is subjective, as long as its enchanting for you, it qualifies.

I don't understand all these questions? But as I said, I retired, so I'm not doing this. The confusion defies me...

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Blog Entries

I think our minds are more comfortable with restrictions than without, and when the instructions seem subjective, we look for an interpretation that implies limits over one that does not. I know I do that.

Post I agree Imm.

I can agree with that, Imm - its easier to follow specific instructions, then to say "make anything you want that's enchanted". That means you actually have to think of everything yourself. Specific instructions give you a guide, so you use your creativity to enchance the entry to your version.

If I were doing it, I'd try to make an "enchanted" map:

1. Do 3D like Jyyke, but show a flat map at the edges, then have 3D structures that rise above the map or drop below the map surface to make it seem "enchanted".

2. Create a map covered in runes or glyphs with riddled labeling, as if it takes a spell caster to read the map - perhaps the map is a magical trap, that unless read properly can cause a debilitating effect to the reader.

3. Create a desert sands region map, but show sand blowing off the map onto the table its resting on. Or similarly have an island map in the ocean, but have a tear at the edge and sea water is leaking from the map onto the table.

4. About a year and half ago, I posted a thread about using optical illusion patterns as floor tiles that create simulated movement like rippling waves or rotating circles with the optical illustion. Create a wizard's lab or keep with optical illusion designs on the floor to simulate "enchanted" map.
    optical illusion link

I'm sure there are a half a hundred other ways to go, but these are just 4 ideas I have for this challenge, if I were doing it. Of course, I'm retired so feel free to borrow one of these for your entry!

Edit: dang! I retired. I just had an awesome idea for #2, perhaps I'll post something in the WIP forum...

GP
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 07-11-2009 at 02:48 PM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Guild Journeyer

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post
    It says create a map that is enchanting to you, so why does everybody's post seem to be a question "does this idea of mine qualify as enchanting" - and the answer is "yes" the restriction is subjective, as long as its enchanting for you, it qualifies.

I don't understand all these questions? But as I said, I retired, so I'm not doing this. The confusion defies me...

GP
    In my case at least, the questions were more thinking out loud. And a way to hopefully remind myself to actually DO the work for once. I couldn't tell you how many challenges I've 'done', but I don't think I've ever actually posted up for one yet.

Too many hobbies.

I think this is a fun idea. I just created a map for the players in a game I run that lays out the creation of a network of enchanted towers designed to harness, amplify, and control a nexus crystal (which in my world is a convergence point of lay lines and extra-planar energy). The map only has minor enchantments, mostly to preserve and protect it, but because it documents a magical process I think it fits the description of this challenge (it fits Gamerprinter's example #2 quite nicely), and if anyone is interested I'm going to post it over in the regional section for mapping.

I might do a new map for this challenge, but I'd like to go in a different direction, and I haven't been inspired yet with a concept.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast