• The Tomb of King Eravyr - by Alecthar

1 4.55%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ***June/July Lite Challenge Voting - Archeology***

Post ***June/July Lite Challenge Voting - Archeology***

VOTE FOR 1 (ONE)

view the thumbnails here Jun 09 Thumbnails

Summary of the rules for this month's challenge:

Draw an abandoned city, excavated ruins, or the layout of a tomb. This can be a real location, or someplace completely fictional.

Must include:
    -A list of major finds and where and/or when they were located at the site. (examples: relics, art, weapons, bones, etc)

-At least one detail presented in exposition. (examples: magnified diagram of the king's tomb, picture of an artifact, photo of the archeologist, etc)

Not too many entries this month , but a lot of effort in the few.

Good Voting everyone!

Voted for Immolate as I think he best caught the spirit of this challenge. Some amazingly beautiful work by the others though!
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

My vote went for syt's map, because it had that nice post apocalyptic feel to it.

My vote goes to Jake - I really like his adventurer's guide/expedition diary feeling.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I voted for Immolate, as like Gandwarf I felt that his best fit the overall theme of the challenge.
    Last edited by Steel General; 07-11-2009 at 01:21 PM.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Blog Entries

I voted for Syt because I felt his entry was excellent, but beyond that, it was the most shared experience because he took the time to document the process and trusted us not to help and not judge him adversely for learning. The Lite contest should be a journey of discovery for both contestant and judge, and Syt's entry honors that by letting us see the progress unfold--on the map and in his mind.

Wonderful job everyone and rep for all for making the effort.

Can't get to Thumbs
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Had to look the 'hard way'.

My vote went to Immolate, for the very evocative entry of the Wellington Dig.

Here is my reason.

In 1985, I began my illustrious yet short live university career (I only made it through two years before being placed on academic probation and then started a summer job that would become my career). But it was what I majored in at university that speaks volumes to this challenge.

And what did I major in?

If you didn't guess by now I am giving you each BAD rep. It was....ARCHAEOLOGY! That's right, I was pursuing a BA in Archaeology.

So, looking at the entries, Immolates was the one that struck me as being closest to something I would see on a real dig site. The Map was broken down into squares (which is done before any digging even begins so that artifacts can be accurately recorded when found (i.e. Bronze Adze, located in Area 24-b, 3 metres down, etc, etc.)

The other entries were stellar, and I could easily see some of them being in a Movie or something like Relic Hunter or Indiana Jones or something, but again, Immolates brought me back to my past.

And Yes Immolate, there WAS bronze age Man in the U.K.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Blog Entries

NeonK,

Yeah if you read through my entire WIP thread you'll see that I self-educated as I worked through the map. The original village (never posted) was full of irregular but most-assuredly rectangular structures until I learned more about the actual culture of bronze-age Britain. I would actually love to participate in building a roundhouse now that I've learned so much about them, but I live in a place where the ground is sand, hardwood is dreadfully expensive, and zoning laws are of the soul-destroying variety. Besides, nobody would really want to lay thatch, as it was a difficult and itchy job at the best of times. I did build a roundhouse for my dog last year though, if that counts

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	doghouse.png 
Views:	61 
Size:	174.2 KB 
ID:	14762

Cool house. Now I want to see your dog
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast