Thread: Hello

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Novice

Post Hello

Hello

I am new to the Cartographers guild but not new to mapping. I have been mapping since I was ten years old so an good ten years experience with maps.

I am currently working on an map rough draft of the western and central united states after an alien invasion.

I really do not want to give away any more details so I will let you guys guess what the map will look like until it is done.

The Tools I am using are

Campaign Cartographer 3

and that's it.

Any tool suggestions would be appreciated.

-Ben

Blog Entries

You can work wonders with CC3, but there are things you can do with Photoshop, GIMP or PSP that you can't do any other way.

My suggestion to anyone who is starting out on this forum is to try a variety of tools and not limit yourself to just what you can do with the tools you already know or have. There are free tools in pretty-much every category.

Good luck, welcome to the guild, and please don't wait until you're finished to post your work. The journey is almost always as much fun as arriving at the destination.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!

Ditto to what Immolate said, post up some of your work and feel free to ask any questions.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Novice

Quote Originally Posted by Steel General View Post
    Welcome Aboard!

Ditto to what Immolate said, post up some of your work and feel free to ask any questions.
    Well... I just Recently got CC3 but I have an whole slew of maps that i Drew by hand. Ranging from when i was fifteen to the present the only problem is that they are on Huge Sheets of paper. How would I go about getting these on to my PC in a digital format?

Post Scan it!

Scan the maps. Now I know its a pain in the butt, but I do it all the time. With a flatbed scanner place your map starting at one corner, use light tacky tape to hold it in place, then scan it. Remove the tape, slide the map over with just a slight overlap of what you previously scanned, tape it down and scan it. Repeat until the complete map is scanned then in Photoshop, GIMP or your favorite image editing program create a blank sheet the size of the total map, then cut and paste each piece stitching the map back together again.

You wouldn't want to do this to too many maps, but like I said, I do it all the time when working with my hand-drawn maps that are colored and enhanced in my application.

The cheesier way to go, would be to take a digital camera shot of the entire map, but there are many lighting issues and low resolution problems doing it this way.

Oh, and welcome to the Guild!

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Welcome to the Guild.

I too use CC3 and nothing but. I find the limitation a challenge, to see where I can push the map and how to push it there.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave