Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nameless Bolkenheim

Map Nameless Bolkenheim

Heyo, it's been about a week+ since I signed up here on the forums. Since then I've been doing a ton of research, a lot of experimentation, and a lot of pipeline building to create this map. And being my first map, I am happy with it.

If I had only one thing to say about the cartography and the processes behind creating maps (which I don't!), I must say that after doing it, my respect for everyone in this field has shot up by a large exponential factor. This stuff is hard. But I must say, it is also very rewarding. I busted out every chop I know that was relevant to an illustration like this, and more.

To give a brief summary of this map, this took me around six days to complete. I used Photoshop CS4, and my Wacom tablet to paint this. Most of my research came from the forums, local cartography archives (aka town hall), people in the field, and a lot of peer review with my fellow friends and classmates here in Burlington, VT. I wanted a direction I felt was functional as well as aesthetically pleasing. Readability was a big concern of mine, and this became a halting point when applying typography since I refused to relinquish my color pallet. Thanks to a constant critique process, I was able fix a lot of my issues and to finally get a result I was happy with. Also, this map is based on a DnD campaign I am running for my friends. My naming conventions are lacking any level of caring for fantasy names in general (and I am horrible at thinking of names to begin with), so I simply wrote down the first thing that came to mind when creating this land. Have fun picking out my jokes!

I can go on for hours... and I will! I am writing a tutorial for how I made this map. But for the sake of brevity, I will cut this post here and attach the link to the tutorial later. Taking the time to sit back and record a process is a great form of reflection, and is something I feel all designers and artists should try out - it is very beneficial to improving one's work flow, I believe. And finally, I want to thank CG for being a great inspiration. This process was so fun, I can't wait to start up another (bigger) project!

-dan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dPV_map001_web3_midquality.jpg 
Views:	996 
Size:	4.15 MB 
ID:	14766  
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by danPV; 07-11-2009 at 02:34 PM. Reason: Grammar and flow.
    -pV

That's one very very pretty map. I like the style, definately.

The river police, tho... they be coming

River Police: Bring it on.

Seriously though, C&C is welcome, always. One can't get better without a critical eye (or in my situation, acknowledge that I know nothing and try again)!
    Last edited by danPV; 07-11-2009 at 02:30 PM.
    -pV

Beautiful map! The colors work really well together and the mountains look great. I also like the symbols you used. A tutorial will definitely be a great addition to this forum.
    Consider yourself repped.

Now, as I have been recently added to the river police force:
    - Near the Far Reach and Aissur you have a river that starts and exits into the ocean and it's also splitting. Rivers tend to start on the high ground (mountains mostly) and then exit into the ocean. They seldom split, as the water takes the path of the least resistance.
    The rivers there might also be considered straits by the way. Still, they wouldn't normally split.

Just remember this is your map and you can do whatever you want with it, especially if you have a good reason for it.
    Last edited by Gandwarf; 07-11-2009 at 02:49 PM.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Oh, and as for the place names. Interesting world.
    I can see locations that remind me of wodka, artists (Blue Man Group, lol?), ancient locations buried by volcanoes, modern cities, ancient computers (Amiga ftw), etc.

Your map is really something to look at. Very interesting.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Thank you! And thank you very much for the river critique - frankly, I only loosely tried to originate them in highland areas, and I put in splits only for what my mind either perceived as aethetically pleasing or as a good spot to screw my DnD party.

Let me know if you find my pipe bomb. Also, Tomb of the Mind Flayers: that is totally there just to screw with my party. They're level 9 but they don't know the name of the keep they are encroaching upon.
    Last edited by danPV; 07-11-2009 at 03:08 PM. Reason: Adding jokes.
    -pV

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

This is very nice, Gandwarf covered the river infractions so need to to expound further on those.

Well done...
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

There are quite a few river violations; mostly of the going from ocean to ocean kind but there are a couple of splits and lakes with multiple exits as well. The river shapes are great though and the color palette is gorgeous.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

very nice! what other art type work do you do?
    Adam Schmidt
    Illustration and Cartography
    http://www.misteradam.com

Ascension: Thank you very much! I will be sure to pay better mind to the anatomy of the rivers next time, I assure you all on that much.

misteradam: Funny you ask, since it is what's preventing me from finishing this tutorial I promised as fast as I want to (I will get it done)! At the moment I am technically unemployed (I hate this economy!), but I'm doing volunteer work with some friends on some production projects, and I am an intern for a company I am under NDA with, doing environment art. Sometime in the near future I can tell ya' what specifically but its a video game and its a very damn good one.

I specialize as a game production artist, 3D asset creation and conceptualization via illustration/painting. I am currently a student at Champlain College, entering my senior year. If you ever see me mention the gauntlet I pass my work through before I approve it for posting at a place like here, conceptart.org, zbrushcentral, etcetc, those are my friends, peers, professors, and coworkers I know at Champlain, usually.
    -pV

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast