Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My first world map - please critique

There's some tree brushes posted on this forum. A quick search turned up this for me, but there's probably more to be found:

http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=3195
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=5478
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=2250
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Quote Originally Posted by ritalee76 View Post
    added some terrain and some trade routes and am looking for some better trees
    Post yer wip, muchacho! (Or muchacha, whatever.)

Wip Updated...

Took some advice...

Added more mountains where the water comes from to (hopefully) make it look as if the water is flowing due to gravity

Also added some sand dunes in my desert and changed the trees...

Added traffic routes (land and sea)

Still am stumped on the title box thingamajiggie and have yet to age it or add fold lines or long and lat lines.

Please take a look and give me more advice!

Tonight is the first night of our new campaign!

Thumbnail and link to big freakin' map provided:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	map_2.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	2.93 MB 
ID:	14782  
    Last edited by ravells; 07-26-2009 at 04:42 AM. Reason: large in-line image superflous.

I'm not a fan of those city & tower icons, either. For one thing, all the cities are the same. For another, the city icon looks crooked. :\ They work well enough as placeholders, but I hope you'll replace them.

I think the routes, when they aren't hugging a coast, would generally be straight, unless they are avoiding some kind of doldrum or sargasso ... or unless the pilots are dipsomaniacs. :p But I like that you included routes. Good touch!

Personally, I like the city images. The repetitiveness of them does drag the quality down, though. Maybe get a couple similar images and use them for the most important cities and monuments?

Kinda like the image given to the Lonely Mountain in most maps of the Bilbo's journeys in The Hobbit

-asp

I don't have anything against town/tower/castle icons per se. Just this particular set seems a little bit cliparty. I think the rest of the map is of a much more appealing style, and it deserves better than the current icons.

hello fellow new person.

looks pretty good. I dont know if the intent was a sort of retro look, but I like it. I agree what just about everyone is saying (don't worry they find it in my map also),

There is one thing that I may have noticed, but may not be accurate and thats your font sizes. it looks like font sizes vary even between similar types of labels. I would tro to make them as standard as possible, just for GP.

gl
    Marc

Thanks everyone for the critique...

Am working on finding more suitable clip art / brushes for the cities and towns.

As far as different font sizes goes, I was using a 10pt for bigger cities and 8pt for towns...

I guess its not obvious about the cities and towns though.

We're sitting here at the table about to begin playing and my players can't believe that I actually created that from scratch

Post Town Icon ideas

Even though I hand-draw any city/town icons that I need, I usually try to pick a single structure the most represents the uniqueness of a given location. Like the local wizards tower, the Ranger's Lodgehouse, a Temple or Shrine, the Lord's fortress, a major bridge or dam or... - each one different, but you don't have to come up with a dozen different town layouts, since you're focused on just one structure per site.

Now I don't mean to ask you to hand-drawn your own, but you could. Or then looks for similar themed clipart that depict single structures only.

Another way is to pick a single icon that represents a town, a village, a city, a capital, that way you have more variety at least, though several copies of the same icon.

I prefer the former method, but whichever way works best for you.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Well, I've been looking for an excuse to buy a tablet for a few years now. I do a lot of photoshop work for work and have always been confined to a mouse... Now, I've got my excuse and found a small one on NewEgg for $100

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16823100046

Should be here tomorrow according to them so maybe I can draw up some good cities

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast