Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: paid Novel Map

Wip paid Novel Map

This is a map intended to be placed on a web site for the book and portions to be placed on the inside cover. I had never done a map to spec before. It's bloody difficult. And the client always ends up moving things based on how it looks after you're done.

I originally was working in colour, but there were so many changes I stripped it all down and reduced it to an outline. Now I have to go back and update/finish the coloured version.

Also, most of the action of the story takes place in the northern portion for the first book, so the detail in the southern regions will remain bare until the 2nd book is more complete.

Oh.. and hello again. I moved a couple times so I haven't been around much!

I'm not happy with how I handled the roads and I think the title is cramped up top. Thoughts?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KenowynnOutline.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	311.0 KB 
ID:	15088   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KenowynnColour.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	362.2 KB 
ID:	15090  
    ~The Odds are Good, but the Goods are Odd.~

Chel:
    The location and title of the thread suggest that you are requesting a map. However, if I understand correctly you are working on a commission?

If so I think we are going to move the thread to the Regional/world mapping forum.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Really like the colored version by the way. A shame you had to strip it down to black and white. Still, that version is also beautiful and it might work better in a printed copy.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Gandwarf View Post
    Chel:
    The location and title of the thread suggest that you are requesting a map. However, if I understand correctly you are working on a commission?

If so I think we are going to move the thread to the Regional/world mapping forum.
    Whoops! I had too many of the forum windows open and clicked post in zee wrong spot. Ahem, that'd be great if it were moved. >.>
    ~The Odds are Good, but the Goods are Odd.~

Thread has been moved

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

@Chel - From what i can see it looks nice. But I have a monitor on the slow slide to CRT death so I'll hold off on any C&C until I'm at home.

Flex those CL muscles Gandwarf!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Just put something light-colored behind your title to bring out off the terrain underneath.

It's a very nice piece! Cheers

Have some rep by the way Chel.
    The colored work is really beautiful.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I really like this style...might tempt me into giving up my usual style. Cool stuff. One thing that I notice, and it's probably my monitor doing it but I see a lot of little red blinking pixels.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    One thing that I notice, and it's probably my monitor doing it but I see a lot of little red blinking pixels.
    Are you drunk???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast