Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Making Fractal lines in GIMP

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cool as a Cucumber View Post
    Yeah, what this guy said. I guess I'm just going to have to do the rivers in Fractal Mapper.
    Ah rivers: http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...inkscape+river

It's Inkscape rather than The GIMP but that might help.

RobA,

New User here so forgive any nOOb ignorance.

I'm really interested in your Fractalize Path Script. I got as far as installing the .scm file into the script directory. I restarted the script server, drew a quick line using the pencil, converted the line to a path. Now is where I'm stuck. I click on the Path tool and then right-click on the selected path - but I'm not getting the dialog box.

What am I missing? I'm betting it's something really simple. I looked around online for a video but of course all of the videos are for drawing "fractals" not using your script to convert a path to a fractalized line! I mean it sounds really simple - I'm just not seeing it.

Thanks for the script and thanks to anyone who can provide me with an answer.

Quote Originally Posted by JingJang View Post
    Now is where I'm stuck. I click on the Path tool and then right-click on the selected path - but I'm not getting the dialog box.
    You need to have the Path Dialog open:
    Name:  paths-dialog.png
Views: 651
Size:  5.5 KB

and right click on the path in there to get the Path menu.

This page 2.3.*Paths Dialog describes how to get that dialog open and docked somewhere.

-Rob A>

Thank You sir!!

That's exactly what I needed - figured it was simple.

Now I'll need to experiment with getting the result back into a normal layer but I'll figure that out later.

I'll be using your script to make some dungeon maps, (Specifically the walls). I work in GIS but true cartographic design is something I've only toyed with. Still learning GIMP and all it can do. Thanks for this script though - it's going to make for much better looking walls!

Thanks Again!

Yeah, what this guy said. I guess I'm just going to have to do the rivers in Fractal Mapper.
    Well if you are open to using illustrator you can do this:

1. You draw a form vaguely ressembling the shape of whatever you want
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ex1.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	36.0 KB 
ID:	55369

2. You select the part want (in this case it's the whole shape) and you go to filter→Distort→Zig Zag, then you set the intensity of the effect (generally you only need a small percentage).

Name:	ex2.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	11.7 KB 
ID:	55370
    This should give you an altered shape that is more like what you initially wanted

Name:	ex3.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	33.5 KB 
ID:	55371

3. You copy/past it in photoshop, there are many options you can choose depending on the result you want. I usually paste it as a path.
    Name:  ex4.jpg
Views: 554
Size:  6.8 KB

4. Then you fix the latest details and stroke the path. Here is an example of a map I made today for a game of D&D using this technique for the room 57-58-59.

Name:	passage de Tirara.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	488.0 KB 
ID:	55373

Guild Member Facebook Connected wisemoon's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I know I'm responding to an old thread, but in case anyone new checks this thread, I found a random fractal line generator online:
    FractalMaker_exp

you can generate lines with varying numbers of segments, change the coordinates of the segment ends (for example, I made a zig-zag line to represent a winding river), etc. When you have a line you like, you can export it as a BMP or JPG file. You could then import that line into GIMP or Photoshop to use as a river.

I haven't yet tried the Inkscape fractalized line method, but I figure this is a quick fix for those who want a reasonably randomized, fractal river but aren't too terribly OCD about the details.
    --wisemoon
    This and all other posts, including image or document files created by me that are linked in a post, are copyright Megan L. Wiseman, in the current year. Permission to use granted under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License unless otherwise stated in the post.
    Please visit my blog - cartography, popular culture, and my art/design journal. Here are my finished maps!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123