Thread: Paint & jpgs

Post Paint & jpgs

Dunno if I've mentioned this here before, but...

I've stumbled across a problem with pre-XP MS Paint.

Natively, it does not seem to support jpgs, but there appears to be something within Office that triggers Paint into supporting them.

But it doesn't always work. I have two old installations of Paint and Office, but the newer install (!) doesn't support jpgs.

Does anyone know what this feature is and where it is located, so I can turn it on?

Cheers.
    Mapping a Traveller ATU.

See my (fantasy-based) apprenticeship blog at:

http://www.viewing.ltd.uk/cgi-bin/vi...forums&sx=1024

Look for Chit Chat, Sandmann's blog. Enjoy.

If you insist on using Paint, and can't make it open JPGs, then just get one of the many graphics filetype converters. It's an extra step in your workflow, but it'll do the trick.

Post MS Paint, hrrmph!

Aside from operating systems I stay away from any application with the word Microsoft in front of it. I say go use any "normal" paint application, because any and all real apps can import JPG no problem.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Cheers guys, I have some other software I can use, but Paint is easy, I'm familiar with it and I just figured if I've already got all the components and just need to find a menu somewhere and tick a box...
    Mapping a Traveller ATU.

See my (fantasy-based) apprenticeship blog at:

http://www.viewing.ltd.uk/cgi-bin/vi...forums&sx=1024

Look for Chit Chat, Sandmann's blog. Enjoy.

Blog Entries

I had another look for a simple paint app last night and still came up with nothing. Theres a few shareware apps. In fact if you want to do shareware then you can get PaintShopPro old version. It changed from being a shareware to a full app at about V3 or V4 but you can try the old versions here. Install the oldest V2 one and see if its ok. That one was real simple and had no fancy stuff in it. They used to give it away on the cover of PC mags.

http://www.oldversion.com/Paint-Shop-Pro.html

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post
    Aside from operating systems I stay away from any application with the word Microsoft
    Thee & me! If Adobe would port CS to LInux, or maybe better yet develop their own AdobeOS, I'd take Windows off my machines in a heartbeat.

Despite all that, I still have unreasonable hopes for Windows 7 to improve the OS situation. But yeh, I'm a Firefox-Thunderbird-VLC-Xyplorer-OpenOffice-AnythingElseNotMS kinda guy.

I'd say for any PAINT user, spend the time to learn GIMP.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by töff View Post
    Despite all that, I still have unreasonable hopes for Windows 7 to improve the OS situation.
    Don't hold your breath...from what I hear it's just a prettier version of Vista.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.