Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hello Cartographer's guild! Newbie here

Guild Novice Facebook Connected DethinBlack's Avatar

Welcome TR. Beautiful map. I had the same issues you are describing when I went to do the map for the world i'm creating, and now I am building all of the skills that I can. I feel its really helped me, and i get the added bonus of working with new map styles, so that later I have more of them to chose from! Yay!

Happy Mapping!

Someone call the River Police! Oh, the humanity!

There are some flow issues with the rivers on the map that are quite jarring to me but from a drawing standpoint it is quite well done.

yeah, when i read the rules in making rivers, i noticed that i have some flow issues (like the river in the center of the map). I must follow terrain altitude. I am still new to cartography and this is only the first draft, I will surely take into account all the suggestions you can give.

If you would look in the bottom of the map, the coastline is like jagged. In the past, the island on the bottom of the map and the big landmass in the left are once connected. The story is in the past, after the banishment of the children of Anu, they built a great civilization, called Ur. There they built a tower, called the tower uruk (much like the tower of babel), but when the gods saw the hubris of their creation, they sent a big rock of fire from the sky to destroy the tower, the impact caused the separation of the land mass which over time gave the jagged coastline, the lines there are not rivers, but are fissures where sea water drained.

I have erased the whole drawing and left only the outline of the map. because i think i had much to do with the mountains and rivers of my map. still a work in progress.
    Finis Coronat Opus

Quote Originally Posted by waldronate View Post
    Someone call the River Police! Oh, the humanity!

There are some flow issues with the rivers on the map that are quite jarring to me but from a drawing standpoint it is quite well done.
    No Need, you've just been deputised.

Welcome to the Guild, Tolkienreader!

Guild Member

Your map reminds me a lot to the one of the Middle Earth that came with the first "Lord of the Rings" book that I read. I mean it as a compliment: it's a clean style, and very well executed. It's brought nice memories :-)

Guild Novice

If you don't own photoshop already, I'd recommend The Gimp, and point you to RobA's excellent tutorials on creating regional maps.

Quote Originally Posted by silverhead View Post
    Your map reminds me a lot to the one of the Middle Earth that came with the first "Lord of the Rings" book that I read. I mean it as a compliment: it's a clean style, and very well executed. It's brought nice memories :-)
    Thanks silverhead, my map and story has been influenced by tolkien's lord of the rings actually so there are some similarities.
    Finis Coronat Opus

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    No Need, you've just been deputised.

Welcome to the Guild, Tolkienreader!
    Thanks ravells, cartographers guild really is a supportive community. I am thankful I found this site.
    Finis Coronat Opus

Quote Originally Posted by Aidan View Post
    If you don't own photoshop already, I'd recommend The Gimp, and point you to RobA's excellent tutorials on creating regional maps.
    Unfortunately I use photoshop already. But I'm actually thinking of trying gimp. Anyone who can give me the pros and cons of the gimp vs CS3? thanks!
    Finis Coronat Opus

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Each have their strengths and weaknesses - one thing that PS does have that GIMP doesn't (at least not yet), is the lighting effects filters. But GIMP has the Script-Fu and Python scripting engines, something that PS seems to have missed out on.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast