Thread: Australia.

Post Australia.

Hej,
    Just stumbled upon your site and found it wonderfully nerdy. I've had an interest in maps and whatnot for some time (well...for all time as far as I'm concerned).
    Here is one I made a good two or three years back. Its quite 'finished' and I have other versions with cities and whatnot marked on but still, it doesn't look half as pretty as the maps posted elsewhere on here. I always just stick to paint and know little of the ways of photoshop and whatnot; which is a situation I really must improve.

The idea here with this map was for a bit of a fantasy/alternate history.
    For no apparent reason and no effects on the rest of the planet Antarctica suddenly heads Australiawards giving a real Terra Australus on which civilization develops.
    The civilizations are mainly based around the many valleys of the north of the 'Antarctica' side of things (those rivers marked are of course just the major ones, many many small ones exist)
    When the Europeans come along Australia ends up suffering a fate somewhere between that of Asia (in early times at least) and America.

Changes I can make...well doing the sea more 'proper' would be nice as would figuring out some way of properly showing ice cover without totally ruining things. Marking cities and nations and stuff in a neat way would also be good (rather than my prior rough scrawl on). And of course general tidying. Sadly I'm afraid the resolution may be too sucky for much.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	world blank.bmp 
Views:	153 
Size:	1.67 MB 
ID:	14825  
    Last edited by Tyr; 07-14-2009 at 11:51 AM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

First off...Welcome Aboard!

Be sure to drop a quick post in the intro forum.

Very interesting map..and you did it in Paint?

I envy anyone who has the patience to create anything worthwhile in that horrible thing.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel General View Post
    First off...Welcome Aboard!

Be sure to drop a quick post in the intro forum.

Very interesting map..and you did it in Paint?

I envy anyone who has the patience to create anything worthwhile in that horrible thing.
    I find it to be the best, most user friendly image editor out there.
    Its features are lacking but for ease of use photoshop and the like just can't compare.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyr View Post
    I find it to be the best, most user friendly image editor out there.
    Its features are lacking but for ease of use photoshop and the like just can't compare.
    You haven't tried many editors then. Paint is terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    You haven't tried many editors then. Paint is terrible.
    I've tried paint.net, photoshop, paintshop pro and probally one or two others that I can't even remember.
    None could compare.

A pencil has fewer options still, and is much more user friendly.

Welcome aboard!