Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reptillian Vellum

Post Reptillian Vellum

Hello all.
    First day here and I have questions already

I'm in the beginning stages of starting a Dark Sun campaign that's been brought up to date with 3.5ed rules. Well, for those unfamiliar with the setting, it's a desert world. And from there it just get's plain weird. All that aside though, I thought--wouldn't it be cool to have map backgrounds that looked like reptillian hide/vellum. Large croc/dino sized scales, tiny to medium serpent style scales, vibrant colors that look faded or bleached by the curing/tanning process. Aging that differs from what would happen to parchment. Maybe even some organic, primitive pallets for the inks used.

Has anyone ever seen anything similar to this or suggestions on how to accomplish it?

Any input would be appreciated.

Jim

Welcome to the community Jim! Great to have you here.

As for the request, I'm sure that someone will be able to help better than I, but I would suggest checking out Dundjinni to start. There are some wonderful textures being posted there all the time and they even take requests from time to time.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Well, I decided to challenge myself to see if I could come up with a tile to suit your needs. I haven't figured out how to turn it into a suitable paper, but maybe someone can build on what I've done.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	reptile_skin_tile_154.png 
Views:	212 
Size:	178.7 KB 
ID:	446  
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Ooooh...

That would definitly work as a pattern with the nifty symetry. I wonder how it would look as a color burn layer. Another thing that leapt to mind when I saw it was how you caught that scales get smaller as you get closer to the belly scales.

Post First try

This is my first attempt. Now, I have to wonder how I'll keep that scaly look and lighten it enough to look bleached and, more practically, have map symbols show up.

Name:	reptile_hide_351.jpg 
Views:	214 
Size:	89.2 KB 
ID:	447  

Post Edges

I was thinking how most parchment maps have that burned look around the edges. For hide, I'd like to find something different but the only thing thats coming to mind is making the edges look curled up. Any other suggestions would be welcome.

I think there's an easier way.

Go here: http://mayang.com/textures/Nature/html/Mud/index.html

And download one of the cracked mud textures, they look like scales, or see if you can find a reptile texture on the web. The good thing about mayang's textures is that they are so big that you don't need to make them seamlessly tile (normally).

But if you do need a seamless tile fill, then make one using a paint program.

Make your vellum parchment as normal.

Overlay it with a new layer using the fill and coloured to suit - try using 'multiply' and 'overlay' and playing with the opacity settings.

Put your symbols / drawings etc on layers above these.

Hope this helps!

Ravs

At the bottom of this page:

http://www.olegvolk.net/olegv/newsit...s-natural.html

There are also closeups of scale and alligator skin. Might work...

-Rob A>

Our friends over at Dundjinni made some mods, as I expected they would , of the reptile tile (is that redundant?) above. You can see their work here:
    http://www.dundjinni.com/forums/foru...930&PN=1&TPN=1

Ok. Using the first 2 installment of Zombie Nirvana's Youtube map tutorial and then grabbing some of the textures from the sites recommended, this is what I have thus far. My favorites are #2 and #4. The only other thing I'd like to to change is the edges. I see vellum/hide as heavier stock so rather than having fragile, tattered looking edges, I'd go with upward curls or something that might resemble scuffing.

As usual, any direction on this would be gratefully appreciated.

Name:	1_129.png 
Views:	369 
Size:	540.2 KB 
ID:	449   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2_847.png 
Views:	364 
Size:	622.2 KB 
ID:	450   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3_890.png 
Views:	248 
Size:	570.8 KB 
ID:	451  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast