Thread: Greetings from a Pennsylvania Neverwinter Nights Builder/DM

Blog Entries

Help Greetings from a Pennsylvania Neverwinter Nights Builder/DM

I joined the guild from Waldronate's Wilbur page, I DL'd his program to make Neverwinter Nights 2 maps. I've played NWN1 since it came out and have run my own game and web server for it, NWN2's use of heightmaps instead of tiles led me to Wilbur and then here.

Specifically i hope to learn the tricks of both map making and heightfield generation in Wilbur, there are other such programs but Cheers to Waldronate for making such a capable program for free! one question on my wish list,, an export function or a tutorial on making texture masks for NWN2 in Wilbur such as this program has: http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view...s.Detail&id=63 Unfortunately the author's program doesn't have the editing tools Wilbur does, nor does its import function work properly (it produces white and black lines in the grayscale .bmp when imported). the link to the program for importing heightmaps into NWN2: http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view...s.Detail&id=14

RobA's Excellent Gimp tutorial is going to be used to make my website world maps! I've used Gimp for quite awhile for web titles and image editing but never approached that level of competence.

In conclusion great site and stunning maps, I hope to learn enough to add my own, Anyone interested in playing or building in Neverwinter Nights 1 or 2 feel free to message/collaborate or log in to my server when its up in nwn2.

P.S. I'm currently running an nwn1 mod by one of my favorite DMs Poetic Collossus, "The Heroe's Stone" found in Roleplay as Revock's Server, he has a knack for dialogue i admire. Here's my current effort with Wilbur, i got some nice river deltas i like, a bit of pity please its been 2 weeks since i started. some considerations for those who don't play NWN2:

1.) A 217X217 pixel area translates into a 20X20 tile (rather large) area so smoothing produces a somewhat bland area IMO.

2.) I know from research that mountains normally follow faultlines except for vocanic activity i.e. the Rockies or the Appalachian mountains running down through my own state, i intend to massage the heights futher to get mountains that follow that pattern, comments?

3.) Next is to use RobA's tutorial to try to add cities and such after getting the land better looking without losing the delta's i got.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Amhai.jpg 
Views:	639 
Size:	280.7 KB 
ID:	14882  

Blog Entries

Post Wilbur's DEMs

BTW i notice the current version of Wilbur wants native DEM format, i hadn't noticed any other post about it so here's what i found to convert the current STDS DEM to native DEM, this should give access to alot more real world data,

http://data.geocomm.com/dem/sdts2dem.html I've used it to convert an NWN co-DM's hometown to a wilbur MDR simply copy the program into the same folder you extracted the STDS DEM to, follow the DOS window prompts and it'll convert it to a Wilbur readable format.

Welcome to the Guild!

NWN, and NWN2, fun stuff!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!

Ahhh... NWN1, god knows how many times I had to replay the area with the Dragon before I was finally able to kill the thing.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Blog Entries

Welcome to the guild!