Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Greetings

Guild Novice

Post Greetings

Hi folks!

I'm new here, but not to cartography.

I was one of the artists involved in making symbols for the Cosmographer product from Pro Fantasy. I also did all the example maps for that product, as well as the 'Starship design' treatise in that product's Essentials manual. I also did the Station 419 map included in the example maps - 33 decks of Star Trek Space Station goodness that took 3 years to complete! Needless to say, I'm pretty proficient in CC2, though I've yet to use CC3 - I just don't like that particular mapping style (Yeah, I'm Old School, with an emphasis on Old). I've had a few articles published in Knights of the Dinner Table, and am working on starting my own RPG company.

My current project is a CC2 interactive fantasy city map about the size of ancient Rome. I've finished the map, and while I'd love to show you some peeks at it, I'm planning on selling it as a RPG supplement, and that wouldn't do to give it away for free!

I'm happy to be a part of this forum! I wish I'd have known about it long ago.

-Anomaly

Hey, and welcome.

Actually, quite a few folks give stuff away for free and make money from it. Also, you could consider posting low-res or partial versions, so that people who want it printed or hi-res pdf or whatever would still have to buck up.

There are some other pro people around here, I think some of them are indie publishers. GamerPrintshop, for example. They do a lot of sharing, and from what I can tell, don't lose much from it compared to what they gain.

Besides, we'd love to see your work.

Once again, welcome.

Welcome to the Guild.

We have other Profantasy Alumns here, Waldonrate for example.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Novice

Thanks for the welcome. I've still got some stuff I can share, yet, so I'm not coming in empty-handed. I'll post a few things tonight.

Welcome.

So not even one small peek at the city map then? It sounds interesting...
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Blog Entries

Welcome, didnt we have a post about a huge ancient map of rome recently ?

Guild Novice

Okay, you guys talked me into a peek.

The city is named Anchorest, and it is a port city of about a million people. The entire country is run by corporate guilds. The site has existed for 10,000 years, and the bedrock below is honeycombed with sewers, aqueducts, forgotten dungeons, etc. I wanted a campaign setting where the players never needed to actually leave the city gates if they didn't want to, and yet find plenty of adventure within.

There are 12 districts in the city. Each building is color-coded (pic 1) as to what purpose the building serves, whether it is an inn, a tavern, a shop, an apartment complex, etc. You can navigate from district to district by clicking on neighboring district names, or get a full city view and then drill back down with a handy district menu. You can set how much detail you want (full detail w/ no color-coding (pic 2), lines-n-color, or just color, just roads), as well as turn the map grid overlay on and off.

I tried to design the city organically, from the small fishing village it once was into the bustling metropolis it is today, and take into account how the city grew over time. As you can see from the second pic, the port facilities are smaller than the city can sustain, so traffic is heavy, congested, and a ship never stays in port longer than a day before it is forced back out again.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	anchorest1.png 
Views:	49 
Size:	944.6 KB 
ID:	14897   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	anchorest2.png 
Views:	56 
Size:	1.19 MB 
ID:	14898  

It does look impressive, have some reputation.
    Would love to get a peek at the whole city (really zoomed out, so no details) just to get an idea of the size. One million people... it should be pretty staggering
    But I can understand if you only want to share the two examples above.

Oh, I am Gandwarf and mainly interested in city maps by the way
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

A fabulous map. Absolutely FAB-YOU-LOUS!!!!!!!!!!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast