Thread: Blackwind Stronghold (Retro)

Guild Novice

Map Blackwind Stronghold (Retro)

I feel kind of ashamed of this map compared to others posted in this forum, with their high color and shading. You guys have been going forward, but I've been looking backwards. If you're old enough to remember maps inside modules that looked like this one, you're Old Enough.

This is the Blackwind Stronghold, an ancient, abandoned guild fortress below the city of Anchorest. It was designed as a 0-Level dungeon.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	blackwind.png 
Views:	243 
Size:	175.1 KB 
ID:	14910  

I remember these maps from ancient D&D modules
    Very oldskool, brings back memories.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Don't be ashamed, most of us older dudes love these old school maps...back in my day we didn't have color, we had nonphoto blue and white. These kids and their rock n roll music and fancy colors...bah humbug
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

BAH!

When I was kid, NOTHING was in color. Whole damn world was black-n-white, color not being invented til 19-aught-70. Only then we didn;t call it color, we called it: "WHAT THE HELL IS THAT!"
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Guild Journeyer

Quote Originally Posted by NeonKnight View Post
    BAH!

When I was kid, NOTHING was in color. Whole damn world was black-n-white, color not being invented til 19-aught-70. Only then we didn;t call it color, we called it: "WHAT THE HELL IS THAT!"
    Given your username, that post was exceptionally amusing.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

While we like all of our fancy colors, textures and the rest. A good bunch of us go all misty-eyed for good old fashioned cyan dungeons.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    most of us older dudes love these old school maps
    It's true that they are primitive in comparison with some other styles. BUT, remember, it is a style. Comparing the cyan grid maps with the Photoshop satellite maps is like comparing medieval illuminated manuscripts to Maxfield Parish.

Really nice clean map. Good job.
    Ranking different styles is silly - they're different. Your car goes faster than my bicycle and much faster than my mothers apple pie. You've done very well in your chosen style - no more or less than any other map here could hope for.

Sigurd
    Last edited by Sigurd; 07-17-2009 at 02:32 PM.

Dollhouse Syndrome = The temptation to turn a map into a picture, obscuring the goal of the image with the appeal of cute, or simply available, parts. Maps have clarity through simplification.

--- Sigurd

Guild Novice

What Sigurd said. Style is subjective.

I love the old school maps because I am another who is "old enough" .

All you're missing by the passage from #27 is an arrow with the words "To the Underdark" !

Cheers,
    GiantAcroyear

White Plume Mountain here I come. I still remember my players blowing there DEX rolls and hanging over the lava...