Thread: Selessea

Professional Artist

Post Selessea

Hey gang,

Here's a map of Selessea, to use as you wish. A "key" follows.

KEY
    Caves of Castron: The Caves of Castron, formed ages ago through volcanic forces, have been expanded and refined by residents at the Lijandre Academy. They are now quite hospitable and well-lit, and furnished for the use of students at the school.
    Coulon Temple: This golden-domed temple is the center of worship for the Lijandre Academy, and its outbuildings serve as a research facility into the powers of belief and spirituality.
    Dark Water: No chart can be made of the bay known to sailors as the Dark Water. The islands of Grande Gard and Little Garde have been known to switch position within the bay, and rocks and reefs appear and vanish with no discernable pattern.
    Lair of Il-Suliak-Ra: The dragon Suliak-Ra lives in this mountain cave. The island of Selessea is only large enough to support one dragon, and Suliak-Ra is one of the most venerated and respected dragons in all of Faridar. Il-Suliak-Ra is a fine lair and is coveted by many other dragons.
    Lijandre: This town on Selessea is the home of many of the faculty of the Lijandre Academy, and also the Academy's assumed location in the "real world." Students only learn of the Academy's actual location on the Isle of Clellen after being accepted into the school.
    Lijandre Academy: The foremost school of magical arts in the entire world, the Lijandre Academy occupies the whole of the Isle of Clellen. Permanent fog and cloudiness in the straits around the island, as well as unpredictable tides and currents, act as a natural protection to the school and its inhabitants. The island is a natural source of magical energy, and has been for as long as it has been known. The school's vast library and sublime natural setting also attract scholars from around the world.
    Magistrate's Castle: The Magistrate of Selessea is the royally-appointed chief of affairs on Selessea and the Isle of Clellen, and his offices and residence sit on a rocky outcropping just outside the town of Ran di Selessea.
    Mound of the Lion: This earthen tomb is decorated inside with many ancient paintings of lions and hunters. It is believed that an Eldritch wizard once ruled over the island and used this site as his capital.
    Ran di Selessea: The main town of Selessea sits at the head of a fine harbor. The fine wines produced on the island are its main export, and ferries run at a regular schedule between Ran di Selessea and the mainland at Ran Nicouris.
    Rulian Grove: This grove sits atop a hill and contains the majority of the Academy's rare plant collection. Trees from all over the world are grown and tended here, as well as many varieties of magical herb and fungus. A tiny spring-fed pond sits at the center of the grove.
    Suliak-Ra's Cleft: This volcanic grotto is often used by the dragon Suliak-Ra as a secondary home.
    The Stones: Underneath this outcropping at the north end of the Isle of Clellen is one of the world's more productive mines of magical stones and metals, but its output is used exclusively at the Academy and for research purposes.
    Tower Arcanum: This tower, situated just up the hill from Mirror Cove, is the Academy's center for research into the Eldritch Magicks. The most primal, complex, and powerful magic is taught here, and admissions are very strict. The tower sits atop and incorporates a cavern system underneath it.
    Warden's House: The Warden of the Lijandre Academy has the job of watching over the island's menagerie of rare and magical beasts. The more dangerous beasts are kept in large enclosures, but most of the creatures are allowed to roam the island freely.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	selessea_105.jpg 
Views:	668 
Size:	387.8 KB 
ID:	454  

Guild Apprentice

One word: WOW!

A few more, now I'm getting over the shock - Incredible! (Sorry for the clichés!) - that's possibly the best map I've seen in a hell of a long time for clarity in contemporary atlas style production - how'd you make it?
    Landgrab website: Strouden - Spinward Marches 2327

And that's why he's an "industry pro", people!

Nice work, Rob!

PS: I'd love to hear how you achieved the mountain effects...
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

Professional Artist

Thanks everyone!
    Quote Originally Posted by pyrandon
    I'd love to hear how you achieved the mountain effects...
    The basic relief is exported from Fractal Terrains. In Illustrator I draw in the landcover colors (as general polygons) and export these and the relief into photoshop. Then I change the color of the relief to a nice mix of C/M/Y by converting to tritone (and then back to CMYK of course). Apply a Median filter and a bit of blur, and then set the blending to multiply with the landcover. Oh, and don't forget to blur the landcover to give it a nice gradation from one shade to the next.

-Rob

Quote Originally Posted by HandsomeRob
    Thanks everyone!
    Quote Originally Posted by pyrandon
    I'd love to hear how you achieved the mountain effects...
    The basic relief is exported from Fractal Terrains. In Illustrator I draw in the landcover colors (as general polygons) and export these and the relief into photoshop. Then I change the color of the relief to a nice mix of C/M/Y by converting to tritone (and then back to CMYK of course). Apply a Median filter and a bit of blur, and then set the blending to multiply with the landcover. Oh, and don't forget to blur the landcover to give it a nice gradation from one shade to the next.

-Rob
    Ok, but how do you achieve the mountain effects? :wink:

Yes, I'm kidding.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.