Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince movie thread

Post Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince movie thread

So, I just got back from watching Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince at the movies... and I had to vent my frustration. Was really looking forward to the movie as the later books turned pretty dark and were interesting. The movie disappointed me however. They left out so much of the good stuff. I don't want to go into details to spoil the fun for everyone, but especially the ending was pretty crappy I think.

At the end of the movie I was like: "What the..."
    It's more a romantic comedy and not a very good one

So does anyone else have any thoughts about this movie? Would love to hear them.

Most of the reviews in the press and at IMDB were very positive at first. But I noticed IMDB is now getting a lot of disappointed people, so it's not just me, thankfully
    Last edited by Gandwarf; 07-17-2009 at 08:17 PM.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Sorry, Harry Who? Is he some sort of guy who makes pottery?
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Quote Originally Posted by NeonKnight View Post
    Sorry, Harry Who? Is he some sort of guy who makes pottery?
    Haha, great... now I really feel a dork
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

still haven't... i might if i can con someone out of a ticket tomorrow
    My D&D/Roleplaying Blog Making a new effort to update every two weeks!
    Gimp Gradient Basics

I understand completely where you’re coming from, but I have to disagree. It’s a movie adaptation and that’s the way, I would suggest you look at it. Are the books better? You bet, but books are always better. As a movie, with its time limits and production costs, I thought it was good, if not one of the better movies of the Potter films. I read the same stuff about the Lord of the Rings, but what can you do.
    Last edited by Bishop Odo; 07-18-2009 at 02:50 AM.

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected JoeyD473's Avatar

I had some problems with the movie. However I don't want to retype all of my problems. You can read what I said about my problems with it at my blog (BTW: My blog also has some of my maps (as crappy as they are)

Quote Originally Posted by Bishop Odo View Post
    I understand completely where you’re coming from, but I have to disagree. It’s a movie adaptation and that’s the way, I would suggest you look at it. Are the books better? You bet, but books are always better. As a movie, with its time limits and production costs, I thought it was good, if not one of the better movies of the Potter films. I read the same stuff about the Lord of the Rings, but what can you do.
    We both have our opinions and I respect yours.
    Still, I know they can't have everything from the books in the movie. Lord of the Rings was missing scenes and even had changes to the story, but it was brilliant. With this latest Harry Potter movie I think they made some wrong choices (by putting things in that could have been left out and by leaving out things that should have been in).

Quote Originally Posted by JoeyD473 View Post
    I had some problems with the movie. However I don't want to retype all of my problems. You can read what I said about my problems with it at my blog (BTW: My blog also has some of my maps (as crappy as they are)
    Good post on your blog Joey. I fully agree.

SPOILERS (select text to be able to read it better):
    -----------------------------
    The most disappointing was the ending for me. I can't believe they left out the big fight and funeral. It was so anticlimatic and totally not emotional. I didn't care that he died... and Harry Potter was standing there like an idiot.
    -----------------------------

Ah well...
    Last edited by ravells; 07-18-2009 at 06:26 AM. Reason: playing with spoiler colours!

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    I'm hoping to see it week after next...the critics in the papers here that I read said it was a bit 'blah'.
    Well, I am interested to hear your story after you have seen it
    The critics overe here were posting rave reviews...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

A good friend of mine saw it and felt that it was pretty good. He did say that they left several major plot-lines out, but that's to be expected in almost any movie adaptation.

He also said that the ending "left you hanging".

Not sure whether I will see it myself, I have more interest in Transformers or Area/District 9 (whatever its called).
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast