Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [taken][unpaid]Undead city

Post [taken][unpaid]Undead city

i haven't done this before so sorry in advance if i miss something. As the title says i need a picture of an undead city and I'm hoping people will be kind enough to do it for free.

The city started out as a neutral sort of diplomatic experiment between the civilized races and the monstrous and evil ones. The city is an undead city ruled over by a council of liches. It was built into a large cavern of the underdark (that original section now a small part of the city). originally it was only inhabited by the liches, their minions, and the groupings of undead/zombies that were in the area. but as soon as word spread of a city for undead that was not only ruled by undead but was providing safe haven for them the city was quickly populated and expanded outwards and downwards. Oh and food supplies and graveyards are not located in the city proper but are located above ground in the many small towns and cities that have either been abandoned or taken over.

As for size well i kinda wanted one the size of a poster (roughly 32in X 20in) if that's not too much trouble for anyone. I plan to mainly have it on the computer and print out parts of it as the campaign continues.

I'm hoping to get this map before September for my DND game. Style wise I'm not sure but the main thing i want most people to think when they see the city is this feeling of monolithic size and grandeur.

I'm sorry if this is too much ask of anyone but I've just built up this city as being the most impressive and massive construction in the world and i know that I'm a terrible artist and could never create or even try to draw this out without ruining it.

I've also attached a picture of the above ground area surrounding the necropolis (sorry for the strange angle in the picture). The entrance to the necropolis being in the center of the mountain range.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img023.jpg 
Views:	226 
Size:	329.3 KB 
ID:	14916  

Guild Member

Do you still need help with this? And if so, is the city still seen as neutral or evil?

city is currently seen as evil but almost a necessary evil as any and all nearby kingdoms trade heavily with it out of pure necessity. And those same kingdoms send constant crusades to try and get a foothold in the area, its been going on like this for about 15 years and the crusades have yet to get a foothold not even in the outer areas. Here's a rough sketch of the layout (sorta) feel free to change it to your liking. Ok and now for an explanation of the parts of the city (city state maybe, what do you call a city almost the size of a continent)
    TOP LEFT: This is the ghost town, this is where POW and slaves are sent and kept. That sector of the city is very strict and exact, it was the last part of the city the architect built and is very (how do you say this)... well look at it and you'll know what i mean (part of it got cut off sorry).
    TOP CENTER: This is the underdark 'diplomatic affairs' building. this is where the undead trade with the dark and evil races of the underdark and from where they send out their army and crusades and how they get very far distances very quickly (by comparison to overland). Those three things with the lines coming out of it are the cave passages that link to the largest 3 parts of the underdark.
    TOP RIGHT: Not much to say here its a section of city (there are still normal buildings and such in this city culture i mean not all undead are mindless) with the buildings closer to the castle/castle type thing being the houses of nobles, at the very rightest of the section is a building built into the mountain, this is the kings keep, where 3 liches reside (the king, The torturer, and the Bone lord)
    OH and it should be noted those shaded in sections inside the city/cave is lava (you dig deep enough in this area you will hit lava or whatever its called when its underground)
    CENTER LEFT: these 2 building are a armory and a treasury not much to say about this area yet as im still thinking up the story of that sector but i do have the one solid fact that there is one lich (oh in this post when i say lich i mean very powerful well known lvl 30's run the other way here he comes kind of lich not the generic one) The Collector
    CENTER: here is the spire the spire reaches out into the overland and is the way to enter the city, this massive spire id known as the spire of knowledge because it is also the library for 1 arcane lich of note known as the The Aged One
    CENTER RIGHT: part if the city, the notable thing about it is that the building at the end (you know what i'm talking about the one with the dotted line) is a combination of a massive monument/Statue (the smaller square) of The Architect with the other building being like a guard post but a heavily defended one. Oh and the dotted lines are secret, no one but the named liches i mention know of it, as they lead to
    CENTER FAR RIGHT: The Architects Tomb. The Architect was hired to construct this massive city by himself, he killed himself to escape the liches not wanting to create a safe haven for evil. And then the liches brought him back to life and made him into a lich, and then the problem was that in this state his great mind could not be used so they tied 3 spirits that had gone insane to him. This caused him to go insane, then he created the blue prints for the city working night and day (doesn't need to sleep now) he finished it in a month. Currently he is alive and gone past insane, the Tomb acts as his home, him ultimate monument, and an insane asylum for him alone. And when the city needs to be expanded he will be brought from his tomb to work once again.
    BOTTOM LEFT: this is a combination of both the graveyard and holding pen for enslaved mindless undead, the blank area in the right part of this sector (no let me rephrase that) there has to be an area like the one in the right side of this sector in the map (wich is to say part of it blank) as this is where i planned for my character to invade the city ('the city is underground? with only one way in thats heavily defended? well then what we do is obviously simple, we dig a hole of our own') also this is the area where the land has become undead (roots coming out of the ground like hands and draging the creature into the deep as food). Actually it may be better to draw this as a forest -y area but with very few trees.
    BOTTEM CENTER: The crypts of loved ones of lives past, ones who mattered so much the liches didn't want them to be cursed with eternal life, the building at the far end is the main mosoliun (something like that, the thing with family graves) and the home of the lich The Crypt Keeper
    BOTTOM RIGHT: again a sector of city haven't decided what makes this area cool/creepy yet
    OK thats it hope the pic helps

Name:	img024.jpg 
Views:	299 
Size:	726.7 KB 
ID:	16749  

Unfortunately, I can barely manage my own projects, so I can't do someone else's right now. That said....

The map you posted is grand! Why do you need help when you are doing such great work on your own? It seems like you could make some really great progress without much help at all except for a few of the tutorials out there!

Guild Member

Yeah the map looks good.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I may play around with this a bit to see if I can come up with anything worthwhile.

Will post any progress here.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Map

OK, so another slow day at work and I had some time to play.

Not sure I really like any of this, except the walls and towers. Heck, I'm not even sure if this is what the OP is looking for or if I'll have time to finish it.

Name:	UndeadCity_v1.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	4.05 MB 
ID:	16861  

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Thanks Ravs... it'll look better when I get some texturing, etc. on the buildings (if I have time)

I really like the lava red and the devastated feel (you're on a roll from the int-errupted one with that style) .. the colours really work for me and I love the plain white buildings. If you want inspiration google Highgate Cemetery.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast