Thread: wow, nice work here!!

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Post wow, nice work here!!

I found this site after playing around with a tutorial I found on psdtuts+ on "how to make an old world map". One of the comments referred to this site. I didn't check it out immediately, instead I played around with the tutorial (which did exactly what it was meant to do - act as a learning experience). It inspired me to do something a bit more funky, and while looking for some good paper textures to work into my background, I inadvertently found myself here.. At that point I gave in and became a member, see what the fuss was about.

Wow.

While my own tastes typically run towards antique maps, I have to say, all of the maps here are amazing, and many are truly stunning!

I notice while reading through guideline posts that a WIP thread seems to be expected, I hadn't thought to do that while working on my current map.

That having been said, some feedback would be great, while I would like to consider this a finished piece I wouldn't mind fleshing out more details to really bring it to life (rivers, more land features etc).

About me? Well, I'm approaching 40, appreciate and create art, less over the last few years since my job took over my life, but I'm off work due to a back injury right now and finding time to brush off my photoshop skills (yes, pun intentional). and Canadian, eh

Y'all seem a fairly friendly group around here, and I look forward to working on some of the tutorials here.. you can never learn enough!

The image itself:
    4 days old
    1280x800 (was originally intended to be a wallpaper for the laptop, next one will likely be larger now that i'm having fun with it!)
    psd file, 23 megs (woot!) jpg 287k
    33 current active layers (aprox 130 before i merged several groups to make it easier to modify effects - yes, layers are my friend!)
    Background is composited from 4 different paper textures, half a dozen adjustment and effect layers and more filters and tiny brushwork than i care to remember
    The islands themselves are 100% photoshop generated
    The terrain and embellishments are composited from a dozen or so different realworld maps. (I'd used my own work previous to this, but it wasn't giving the old world effect I wanted for this piece)

Right now the main thing that's bothering me is the font, I wanted something that looked fantasy based, but I can't seem to get that old world feel to the look of it.

(sorry for being so talkative, I've been kooped up for a few months now with very few people to talk to)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	map4.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	286.2 KB 
ID:	14933  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!

Your map is quite nice! Love the color scheme and it appears you've got the 'aging' effects pretty much nailed down.

One idea to consider is to to possible have small 'hand written translations' of the lettering (which appears to be a Tolkien font) so that folks can see what they represent. *shrugs*

My only little nit-pick is that I find the compass rose a little large, but that's more of personal preference thing.

If you feel the map is finished, then there is a 'Finished Maps' forum for you to post it in if you'd like.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

wow that was fast

thank you for the feedback, duly noted.. and I'll peruse the forum to look for somewhere to post the progress
    I originally had wording from a spanish map, but thought I'd try something different for effect. you're right, though, a legend would be good.

Guild Novice

Very pretty, Coyotemax. The layout is nice, and the color scheme is beautiful.

My only complaint is that traditionally, the lines you have around the edge of your island go on the outside rather than the inside (they usually denote water). The way they are set up now makes the map feel 'inverted', if that makes any sense.

Welcome to the forums!

Welcome to the guild.

The map is very beautiful. The only complaint I have is, the horizontal lines you have along the coastlines/water edges is confusing. On every map I have seen, the shading is always done emanating from the land out to the water, not from the water onto the land.

So for me...confusing on that aspect. The rest...beautiful!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Welcome. Personally, I like everything except for the Tengwar font. If you made it legible then others might be able to use it as a background as well.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Novice

Quote Originally Posted by NeonKnight View Post
    The map is very beautiful. The only complaint I have is, the horizontal lines you have along the coastlines/water edges is confusing. On every map I have seen, the shading is always done emanating from the land out to the water, not from the water onto the land.
    Jinx. Buy me a Coke!

Blog Entries

Beautiful work and I agree with the others regarding the woodcut marks. Once you've looked at enough maps, the convention of woodcut on the ocean side is pretty much universal. It doesn't really detract a great deal from the work though.

My complaint is this: the map is too pretty to have the fake burn marks on it. That goes more with overall weatherization, and your map doesn't appear to be trying to make that particular sale. I say, go without, and present your map as a work of art rather than a simulation.

I love the Jules Vernish cartouche by the way.