Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: My world - The Everlandias

Finished colouring the third, and smallest, region of Adallia. The continental ridge didn't quite come out the way i had hoped on this one but it's good enough as it is.

-D-
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Adallia - Mid Lands.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	2.57 MB 
ID:	15451  

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

The progress here is looking really good. There's still a few river issues on the first map, as well as some on the second:

Map 1:

1. toward the south, there's a collection of three nearby lakes. All three of the lakes are connected, and between them there are 4 outlets to the sea, all being fed by one set of streams from the mountains, which would be a highly unusual situation. The interconnectedness, per se, isn't the problem, but the number of outlets to the sea that a single stream is feeding. To fix this, you could do several things: (a) split off the different outlets to the sea and have each fed by a different set of (non-connected) feeder streams or (b) eliminate some of the outlets and let only one outlet dominate. Additionally, it would be unlikely that a river would split to feed two different lakes. Take the Great Lakes as an example: while they are all interconnected, each has an exit river that feeds the next lake, forming a chain of lakes rather than a web.

2. Just north of that, there are several more interconnected lakes with 5 outlets to the sea.

3. On the western promontory, there are several feeders heading to one lake with two exit rivers (one of which immediately splits). One of those exits feeds another lake, which also has two exits, so that at the end, you've got a total 5 outlets to the sea here.

4. Toward the east, around the volcano overseeing the marshland, you've got a lot of rivers feeding into what I think is a single outlet to the sea (which is good), but in the headwaters just north of the volcano is a set of small lakes that are meshed together. To fix this one, just chain the lakes together with one line of rivers (they can have other rivers feeding into them, but have only one exit that continues downstream), or break off the links between them and have each feed the downstream river separately.

5. On the northern cape/horn you've got a river that splits partway to the sea into two outlets.

Quick rule of thumb: starting at the sea, I shouldn't be able to trace a line upriver and then back downriver to the sea again at a different location without ever leaving the water. Many streams feed into fewer and fewer major rivers as they go toward the sea.

Map 2:

1. Northwestern island: one lake with two exit rivers going to the sea.

2. Northwest corner of the mainland: A medium round lake has many feeder rivers and one exit to the sea, but one of it's feeders appears to be from a river that splits and feeds another lake that also has an outlet to the sea. That feeder would tend to feed one of the lakes or the other, but not both.

3. Southern Coast of the midwest, a small lake has two exits to the sea.

4. The southeast on the western cape, two exits to the sea from a single lake.

5. The southeast on the eastern cape, two exits to the sea from a single lake.

Anyway... that's all that I can find. Haven't looked at the third (posted just now) map, so no comments on that, yet.

Points of praise: Overall, this looks great! Good luck with the rivers.
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

The latest posting looks good (except for the continental shelf )

For me the shelf is to smooth, except for around the small island in the south where it looks like the shelf bubbled up around the land. I've been having my own issues with continental shelves so I don't have a good fix for you to try.

Maybe try applying a pattern to the bevel and see if that breaks things up a bit.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Thnx words of advice Karro, its this kind of feedback i'm after. I understand what my problems are now, rivers were never my strong point , and I'll try and fix them tommorow.

I'm not going to fix map 2 as that is getting completely redone but i am going to take what you have said into account.

Quick question: do marshes/lakes have to be near a river to form. That's been one of my problems as i've been trying to get rivers to flow towards lakes and marshy areas to provide water but if they aren't needed that would be great. I know that underground rivers do exist and that these can from lakes, i have a document talking about that around here somewhere.

Thnx for the help

-D-

Yeah, i'm going to break up the continental shelf, i think it cam out this way because my shoreline is a bit too smooth or something like that. The area of "bubbly" shelf is supposed to be an underwater split, the idea is that is where two tectonic plates are pulling apart. The centre island was formed when a hotspot under the break pushed the land up and formed an island volcano, sort of like with Iceland or Hawaii.

Maybe i should just remove the continental shelves altogether, it looks good but its getting a little annoying.

-D-

Quote Originally Posted by LonewandererD View Post
    Thnx words of advice Karro, its this kind of feedback i'm after. I understand what my problems are now, rivers were never my strong point , and I'll try and fix them tommorow.

I'm not going to fix map 2 as that is getting completely redone but i am going to take what you have said into account.

Quick question: do marshes/lakes have to be near a river to form. That's been one of my problems as i've been trying to get rivers to flow towards lakes and marshy areas to provide water but if they aren't needed that would be great. I know that underground rivers do exist and that these can from lakes, i have a document talking about that around here somewhere.

Thnx for the help

-D-
    Lakes are typically fed by rivers (rivers come down from mountains and enter into lakes, sometimes more than one into a single lake, sometimes only one) and typically have a single river exiting them and heading toward the sea.

Marshes can be the result of several things. Basically, a marsh is a type of wetland subject to frequent flooding. This could be at the confluence of several rivers, or even a single river going over a particularly flatlandish area, or it could be a coastal marsh subject to tidal flooding. A river-fed marsh will probably become particularly sodden after a heavy rainfall dumps an excess amount of water into the river and surrounding area. Basically the marsh forms because of poor drainage (for instance a river runs through a wide flat area with a fairly narrow exit for the water, causing the water to pool up). Think of this kind of freshwater marsh as a large, very shallow lake.

Swamps are basically the same, except that the dominant foliage is now, rather than reeds and other herbaceous marsh plants, large swamp-loving trees (for instance, cypress) although this distinction seems to be primarily a North American distinction (the terms swamp and marsh being roughly interchangeable outside the U.S., I believe).

Coastal, saltwater and brackish marshes do typically occur at the exit-points of rivers and estuaries, particularly over an area with a lot of sedimentary build-up at the river's mouth. These marshes become flooded daily due to tidal movements.

Short answer: yes, typically there are rivers involved (though I don't know that this is always the case).
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

Excellent post Karro, thanks!
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Almost of all of Adallia is coloured, yay for progress.

I've redone the lower area that had the colour problem and i redid the shelf on the third map. I've also removed all river violations i could find, thnx for that Karro. Also, on each map, i went back and put an inner bevel on the lakes so that they cut down into the terrain instead of sitting on top of it.

One more map to go, then comes the hard part, labelling.

-D-
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Adallia - Lower Lands.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	3.96 MB 
ID:	15484   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Adallia - Mid Lands.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	2.53 MB 
ID:	15485   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Adallia - Upper Lands.jpg 
Views:	310 
Size:	3.97 MB 
ID:	15486  
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I like the continental shelf much better now, I'm still struggling with mine.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Hey, no problem, these are looking great now. Awesome.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast