Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: My world - The Everlandias

Wip My world - The Everlandias

Hey guys, i'm going to completely redo my world, which isn't a real bug issue as i have barely started mapping my world in the first place.

Anyway, instead of posting my three continent seperately i'm going to do my world, the Everlandias, all in one thread. At the moment i'm working on a colourscheme for my western continent of Adallia. I've been screwing around in photoshop and experimenting with Ascensions tutorials, great tutorials by the way, and have come up with this Practice Map.

Its a good start but it still needs work. Firstly, I want to know if anyone has a good way of colouring areas to look like marshland, my attempts haven't been working for me, too plain. Secondly, does anyway have a suggestion as how to make the open green area in the bottom right look like sweeping grasslands? At the moment they look a bit dull. Thirdly, should i make the forested areas darker? They need to look dense yet lively and luscious, for want of a better word, as Adallia is a very rainy place.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-D-
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	practice.jpg 
Views:	452 
Size:	407.8 KB 
ID:	14956  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Looking pretty good so far, the green is a little over-saturated for my taste, but that's just me

You might want to check out the Genetica Viewer from Spiral Graphics, it comes with aa whole bunch of different textures that you can manipulate to some degree. There are a lot of nice textures included with it.

I use them all of the time. One in particular ('Just Add Bison') may work for you.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

For marshland I've been messing around with some new techniques...try them and see what you think...I did these on my Jasmine Coast map in the top right corner (this is just grayish because it's supposed to be haunted as opposed to marshy). Grab a big airbrush (I use the airbrush soft round 300 or 100), set the flow low, around 10-20% and paint in some black on a new layer above the land. Set this layer to Hue...this will turn everything that is underneath of the painted area to become a grayscale. If you then reduce the opacity and let some color just barely peek through then you can get some nice effects. Lastly, I'll duplicate this layer, pop the opacity all the way back up, set the fill to zero and the mode to normal and add a layer style of color overlay (something brown or tan) with a low opacity just to give it some color variation and possibly a pattern overlay of clouds or something to give it some light/dark variation.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Kay, here we go.

I've been messing around with making marshlands, i sort of like mine because it looks wet but seems to be lively, which is what i'm aiming for with the marshes of Adallia. I like it but something seems off, maybe i should make the green brighter, it looks a bit too cool right now.

I darkened the forest because, as Steel General said, the other green was too over-saturated. I'm really liking that forest texture, thanks again Ascension.

And finally i made the areas to the bottom right brighter to represent open grasslands. Its fine but it still feels like it needs something. While fooling around with the grass i found a good colour that i'm going to use for my desert regions on one of my other continents so its not all bad.

I'm still trying to draw up my main map for Adallia, pics to0 come soon.

Any help would be appreciated.

-D-

Views:	135 
Size:	349.4 KB 
ID:	14982  

A few more updates to the practice map.

I've changed the marsh area to be darker and blended it in better with the treeline, the bluish-green wasn't working for me. Also i change the white around the lettering from a white stroke to a white outer glow so that it still makes the lettering legible while not overpowering it.

-D-

Views:	130 
Size:	335.8 KB 
ID:	15009  

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

Hmm. I think I prefer the previous marshes, just because it looks like marshes (i.e everglades-style) to me, with lots of grass and spots of water showing through. The new style is just kind of a grayish blur, and seems pretty indistinct. Anyway, good implementation of Ascension's style, overall.
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

Yeah, i agree with you there Karro, the Evergaldes feel was more appealling.

So i changed it back, but i'll be using that brownish green marshes to represent wastes later on. Also i added another layer on top of the mountains peaks. Its hard to see but it's small layer of light grey. It make the peaks look higher and painted across a larger area it gives the illusion of snow in the upper regions of the mountains.

Okay, this is my colour scheme that i'm going to use for my map of Adallia, its almost done so i should start to be adding coloured versions soon. To get more detail i'm going to colour it country by country and then combine it together into one large continent map.

-D-

Views:	130 
Size:	348.4 KB 
ID:	15017  

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

Can't wait to see a full-fledged map! Good luck.
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

Okay, after drawing, and cursing, and more drawing i was able to draw the map of Adallia.

It was drawn by hand on six a4 pages and assembled together on computer where they were cleaned and gaps were filled. I'm going to break the map down into countries and colour them individually. I will then bring all of the colour maps together into one complete coloured version of Adallia, that file is going to be huuuuuuuuuge.

Then the final coloured will be broken down into countries again so i can make regional maps with details like towns, forts and place names. In each regional map the other countries will be grayed out so that they're still there but all of the focus and detail will be on the region in question. So i have some work cut out for me, but what the heck, thats half the fun right .

Any thoughts or advice will be greatly appreciated.

-D-

Name:	Adallia Original.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	706.1 KB 
ID:	15091  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Neat land shapes!

Looks like you still have some tiny gaps you may have overlooked.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast