Thread: Ubin

Wip Ubin

This is me working on a request from DJKester. I'm trying to mimic the style here: http://www.cartographersguild.com/at...4&d=1246150120
    Unfortunately, I'm horrendous at making mountains look 'peakier'. I've tried layering multiple stacks of noise with varying opacity, but it doesn't work very well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WIP-Ubin.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	524.6 KB 
ID:	14966  
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

If you're using Photoshop then use the filter-render-lighting effects and make sure to use a channel (I use red). I cover this in my atlas tutorial and my continent tutorial. Solid start tho.

EDIT: Read your hello post and saw that you're using Gimp, no idea of how to do lighting effects in Gimp. You might need to draw them in by hand or maybe one of our Gimpers here knows of a Gimp script to do something similar.
    Last edited by Ascension; 07-20-2009 at 06:23 PM.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Post Mimic Style

Naina,

This is a great start and I'm glad to be working with you on it. I think that is a great style and I'm sure that your style will be some what your own and unique as you evolve your techniques.

Nice start
    Dave

Learned how to do mountains and added a bit of texture to the land.

It was mentioned that the Ampara Wilderness region was jungle and swamp, so I added a big ol' drainage basin, Amazon-River style.

The big thing I'm debating right now is how much ground coverage to show on the map; most of the north is jungle, but you don't get that just by looking. I feel that adding any more colors or textures will start to detract from the style I'm aiming for.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WIP-Ubin.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	259.9 KB 
ID:	14989  

Same way in GIMP-

Either:
    Filters->Distorts Emboss (with an elevation of 3)deg makes a good overlay latyer)
    Filters->Map->Bumpmap
    or
    Filters->Light and Shadow->Lighting Effects

depending on what you want.

EDIT: See you managed already!

-Rob A>

Its looking really good. As for the way to depict the terrain I don't have a lot of value to add.

i'm traveling on business. When I get home on Friday I'll send you some ideas on locals in the north and south.