Thread: Roillwachs WIP

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Wip Roillwachs WIP

Wow, these are fun!

I'm sure the style on this one will be recognizeable, I've started going through some tutorials on here. I have to say, this one was nicely written, very easy to follow, and the best part - explained WHY the steps were being followed.

So, this one is based on an actual game from another site I'm a member of, and over the last 8 years or so we've never actually made a map for it (never needed to, due to the nature of the game, but that's a whole other story)

I couldn't make out the rivers at first, with the settings from the tutorial though (can't figure out what i did wrong there) so I bevelled them with a pillow emboss at 1px and played with the shading options. I think they are still subtle enough at this scale, but you can see them if you look for them

At first i was thinking it needed more mountains, but then I looked again for awhile and decided i like them the way they are. I brought out the mountain details with some dodging and burning, they look kind of nice, I think.

I'm likely going to make the rivers a bit more wobbly, but I don't think they're completely unnatural

The countries are laid out, and towns etc, I'm about to start going through and replacing the placeholders with actual names next. I'm workin on those in a separate file though, this one killed my laptop memory (1gb) as it is, and it's too painful to sit at the desktop (woot 4 gigs memory there) for long. So I merged this to flat, saved a copy as jpg, and used it as the background for the text layers (sneaky me! yay!)
    I'll toss that up later, but I would love feedback on this level.

(and for those complaining about the small size of my last map, I think you'll be happier with this one!)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RoillwachsLand.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	772.0 KB 
ID:	14998  
    Last edited by Coyotemax; 07-21-2009 at 06:16 PM. Reason: one of these times i'll review it a third time before submitting..