Thread: The style I eventually want to achieve...

Professional Artist Facebook Connected kalmarjan's Avatar

Post The style I eventually want to achieve...

This is what I am slowly learning how to do:

It is the style of interior map that would really blow my socks off. Stay tuned...

Sandeman
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sample_01_361.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	240.2 KB 
ID:	461  

Okay...Now that you have my attention...

I'm staying tuned!!!
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

Top down perspective maps can be interesting, but they are only good for smaller areas as the farther away from the center point the more the "central" walls will hide what is against them.

I had to learn how to do these types of drawings for one of the drafting classes I took in college, but that was all done by hand. I haven't tried on the computer, but the effect could be easily achieved by using something like Poser and using the auxiliary camera in a top down view so that you get the perspective. Now trying to draw it in something like PS would be an achievement for sure. I imagine that Illustrator would be able to handle this fairly well given its vector capabilities.

I will be very interested to see what you come up with and how you use it.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

What it all comes down to is the camera's focal effect. Most cameras are at 35 mm range, where if you bump it up to 140, you get a nice distorted perspective effect, almost akin to an orthographic/slight perspective angle. I will be working on this in my *(now limited) spare time.

I will keep you all posted.

Sandeman

I have created a way to show this using DJ, but slightly different :wink:
    Here is an old sample (looks even better now) used to show of some new vines I created.
    Also visit Dundjinni, Four Ugly Monsters, the Nook, Battlegrounds Games, Fantasy Grounds, RPTools, RPGMapShare, Eruvian, Dragon Roots, RPG Virtual Tabletop, Troll Lord Games, GameMaster Syndicate and meny, many others

Quote Originally Posted by Kepli
    new vines I created.

And to quote.....
    "You can never have enough vines - Vines are good - Vines help you - Vines are cool ... "

Yes Kep, as usual, amazing given that you are working with a software package such as DJ. What I am interested in though is also continuing my skills in the realm of architecture visualization. It would be my dream to make a map of the castle dungeon, and as well, show what the room with the boiling lava torture pit looks like from the players' POV.

Now that would be the definition of coolness.

Sandeman

Quote Originally Posted by RobA
    Quote Originally Posted by Kepli
    new vines I created.

And to quote.....
    "You can never have enough vines - Vines are good - Vines help you - Vines are cool ... "
    he he

Quote Originally Posted by kalmarjan
    Yes Kep, as usual, amazing given that you are working with a software package such as DJ. What I am interested in though is also continuing my skills in the realm of architecture visualization. It would be my dream to make a map of the castle dungeon, and as well, show what the room with the boiling lava torture pit looks like from the players' POV.

Now that would be the definition of coolness.

Sandeman
    Agreed ... looks like you could use a CAD tool combined with a drawing program like Photoshop. Perhaps the free program Sketchup would be nice
    Also visit Dundjinni, Four Ugly Monsters, the Nook, Battlegrounds Games, Fantasy Grounds, RPTools, RPGMapShare, Eruvian, Dragon Roots, RPG Virtual Tabletop, Troll Lord Games, GameMaster Syndicate and meny, many others