Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WIP - Satellite style

Wip WIP - Satellite style

I've been experimenting with a sort of hyper-realistic style of satellite mapping, but I'm getting really hung up on ice fields/glaciated areas. I don't want to use flat white, especially on the extremely mountainous areas, so I came up with this. I've been staring at it for too long at this point, so I need an outside opinion.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Atlas attempt3.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	29.3 KB 
ID:	15012  

It does have some cloudiness in it, and I'm not sure if the features on the icy area are too big. Btw, If you don't like plain white, you could always search the internet for a better ice/snow texture. That probably didn't answer your question..

Why don't you look at satellite pics of the poles.

edit: Yeh, what Jykke said.

The green areas look good. Can't really comment at this resolution.

We might be able to see better with a bigger picture.

Sigurd

Dollhouse Syndrome = The temptation to turn a map into a picture, obscuring the goal of the image with the appeal of cute, or simply available, parts. Maps have clarity through simplification.

--- Sigurd

I changed the texture of the ice over the ocean and spent some time rearranging the northern mountain layers. Also added some ice floes at the edge of the ice. Next project is reworking the shading of the ocean. I took Toff's advice (which was excellent) and poured over Google Maps for a while. I need to get the water darker at the poles and shade lighter down to the equator.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Atlas attempt.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	674.7 KB 
ID:	15022  
    Last edited by Naina; 07-22-2009 at 05:00 PM.

Interesting. I like this size much better.

It seems like you've gone through a fair bit of effort to have a 3d effect for the grounds and then you draw your rivers without obeying or affecting them.

Sigurd

Dollhouse Syndrome = The temptation to turn a map into a picture, obscuring the goal of the image with the appeal of cute, or simply available, parts. Maps have clarity through simplification.

--- Sigurd

Yeah, that's been bothering me too. What I really want is to get the rivers to have a 'cutting' effect, like they've been carving the ground away. Do you think I can have enough control (using GIMP) to achieve that effect, or should I toss this river scheme all together and completely redraw them?

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

You could try putting a slight bevel on them using a brownish color, that may help you achieve the affect you're looking for.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I haven't done the research to support this statement, but I don't think trees would grow right up to the edge of a glacier. And that lake that is right on the edge would probably be frozen.

Quote Originally Posted by Albrechtw4 View Post
    I haven't done the research to support this statement, but I don't think trees would grow right up to the edge of a glacier.
    Well, if it's a glacier and it's not retreating it could be coming for the trees:

http://dsc.discovery.com/earth/slide.../index-02.html
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast