Thread: Gryphon's Watch

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Map Gryphon's Watch

OK, this was originally started as my entry in the June Mapping Challenge, but I never quite had time to finish it.

The entire piece was done in photoshop using various textures from Spiral Graphics and user submitted art from the Dindjinni forums. Besides the layout of the tower itself I also included a small map of the remote island where the tower is located.

A special thank you to MysticMagellan who was kind enough to render the sword up for me.

Here is a little story/blurb that I came up with for the challenge (modified slightly to conform to the finished piece).

Khaltyn glanced quickly around at his comrades, all of them were injured to some extent. Danner in particular was in bad shape, the Mountain Troll had caught him square in the ribs and sent the little halfling flying several feet. He lay against a rock, hand pressed to his side, a tiny bit of bloody froth at one corner of his mouth.

The trolls were re-grouping, never in all his years had he seen them acting in concert like this. Obviously someone or something was directing them, but who?

The lead troll, a massive beast encased in bits and pieces of crude armor bellowed and beat his iron-shod club on the ground. Head-sized clods of earth flying in all directions.

"We can't take another charge from them Knight of Loric," the comment came from his left where the Braydish warrior Shuzata covered his flank. Shuzata's long bone white hair was stained a deep crimson from where he had taken a blow to the head. His helmet and saved him from death, but the cut bled profusely.

"I know," Khaltyn gasped. "Grab the little one, we're leaving!" He glanced to the right where the others had gathered. "Everyone close in around me, stay within an arms span of me at all costs."

"What are you going to do?" asked Nandii, Shuzata's long time friend and lover. She was limping badly on an obviously sprained ankle.

"I'll explain later," Khaltyn replied, "just do what I tell you!"

They had gathered around him and their eyes jerked back an forth between the now advancing trolls and the man who they had chosen as their leader.

"Get ready!" Khaltyn spat, "If this doesn't work we're all dead!" He dropped his shield off his arm to rest against his leg and grabbed the pommel stone of his sword. The gryphon head twisted in his hand as he muttered the words to activate the enchantment ingrained in the sword at it's forging.

There has a wrenching feeling, what seemed to be the distant screech of an eagle, and then all went white. There was a great rushing sound and in the next instant they found themselves in the center of a large domed chamber with a sunken floor. They all staggered a bit, some dropping to their knees.

"Gods above Khaltyn, what did you do?" Shuzata gasped, "where are we?"

Khaltyn, a bit of wildness remaining in his eyes, grinned. "Welcome to the Gryphon's Watch my friends."
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gryphons Watch-Final.jpg 
Views:	1029 
Size:	4.23 MB 
ID:	15016  
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.