Thread: Hello All!

Post Hello All!

Hi everyone,

My name is Tom and I run an LFR game in NJ. Currently I use a 1 inch grid under a piece of plexiglass and use erasable markers to draw my maps on. I recently started a long dungeon crawl and in order to save time I am trying to learn how to use my computer to have the maps in a printable format. I found this website through penny-arcade.com some time ago and just signed up. I was searching through the tutorial section to find a good start. I plan on using GIMP and not have anything overly complicated or overland maps, using the program to make dungeon tiles essentially. Any advice?

Thanks,

Tom

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Check out the quickstart tutorial in my sig, Tom that should give you a good start. And check out the tutorial section for other Gimp tutorials. We have a few people here who favour that scale of mapping and I'm sure they'll help you if you post a WIP with what you have in mind.

Welcome to the Guild!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Hi Tom, welcome.

I'm not sure that Gimp is the ideal tool for making tiled dungeon maps, especially if you're not used to it. I think you'd find it easier to use a tilemapper such as Viewingdale, Dundjinni, Maptools or Dungeonforge. The last two are free.
    OTOH, if you're a Gimp expert, just ignore me, I'm sure it can be done.
    Mapping a Traveller ATU.

See my (fantasy-based) apprenticeship blog at:

http://www.viewing.ltd.uk/cgi-bin/vi...forums&sx=1024

Look for Chit Chat, Sandmann's blog. Enjoy.

Thank you for the warm welcome and advice! I am sure that will give me a great start! As soon as I complete my first map I will post it in the correct thread for critique.

Blog Entries

Welcome from a fellow Tom!