Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My first map, and it'll be a doozie.

See http://www.ridgenet.net/~jslayton/wilbur.html for the Wilbur download and the Fun With Wilbur, Vol 1 tutorial for the example most closely related to this.
    See the attached GIF animation for an example.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CGWorldn.gif 
Views:	71 
Size:	293.0 KB 
ID:	15041  

And the other one, just because I'm having trouble sleeping (and 15 minutes one way or the other isn't going to kill me).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CGWorldn01a.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	88.8 KB 
ID:	15042   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CGWorldn01b.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	75.6 KB 
ID:	15043  

If I give you the plain black-and-white height map of the one I'm currently doing, could you send it through Wilbur and give me the results? I tried installing Wilbur using wine, but it complained that it couldn't verify the file and wouldn't give me an option to continue installing anyway :/

Sure, I can do that.

I'm surprised that you're having problems with the installer. Most likely it's a bad download or an older installer version.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jykke View Post
    I have to ask this, as it actually helps me when doing the next map of mine.. is it normal for the rivers be that much carved into the terrain? This question was for Redrobes
    Maybe, kinda, probably not.

I was messing about so didn't have time to do it properly. Even if I did then some of them I would have wanted to cut in deep. In reality most of the gouges from the terrain are done by glaciers or by the mountains rising up slowly and the water cuts them away and there's other factors going on where softer rocks crack up and fall down to form scree slopes and so on. I turned some of these features on but when the mountains are miles high then its a bit off having scree slopes miles high too. All the apps I know which erode with water (including mine) cut much deeper channels than they ought. Its a problem in that you want to cut valleys out of hills but only want a little stream at the bottom to do it. Like the Grand Canyon, the water flowing seems so trivial to cut such a huge event. But in all numerical apps (and I haven't seen anyone try to do this algebraically yet) water has a finite viscosity, you cant move it about fast enough to model real water. So the channels have to be artificially deep to contain it. To do a better job id smooth the terrain out a bit each pass but that would have changed the edge shape. People generally want to keep the map shape but have all the rivers fixed up for it. Running terrain apps with river erosion would change the terrain by shuffling rock from mountains into sediment and depositing it in the low lands creating new coast line.

You will see loads of water spots on my map too - that's another 'feature' id like to get more of a grip on too. I have a permeability factor which makes water soak into the ground. You can see that on one of the movies on its web site. But that's hard to control in my app (what isn't...) and I could not be bothered to get it just right so I left them in.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by waldronate View Post
    See the attached GIF animation for an example....
    Hey thats cool the way that the rivers match up so well between the two apps. I would have expected the obvious similarities but its strange the way that in both apps the rivers join up in the same place on many of the systems. I would have thought that there might be more randomness to it. A slight change here or there and the river cuts a new route. Perhaps its more deterministic than I had imagined.

In this case the surfaces are externally connected to the sink so there's no major difference between the two. The river channels are flowing along the edge of really large elevation steps, too.

I have this strange suspicion that GeoTerSys would have a different opinion on the map with the large, nearly flat internal basin. Wilbur's first opinion was quite different and I had to do some unnatural processing to get internal drainage.
    Last edited by waldronate; 07-23-2009 at 05:58 PM.

Blog Entries

Well I am curious, a bit later when I have done my chores (sigh) ill run it up and see what it does to it. I have no idea because it really does not like extra flat areas. I have a mode to print out gradient in false color and where it goes red or black I know it will have an issue. I think here Wilbur will do a better job. I am expecting a large pool of water actually.

Blog Entries

I got fed up with eating sweets so I had a bit of a play with this one. The results were pretty much as expected in that the grad map shows that where red is pretty flat and it is going to struggle to get long thin rivers here. Where its black its dead flat so its obviously going to pool water in that area. The land could exist but it would need a desert in that region to make it realistic. Anyway for fun here is the results from a quick run.

Its given me an idea for another parameter to try to fix up the local pools of water. I have obviously got a little problem there that needs fixing. The longer you run it the worse the pooling becomes.

Redrobes: Next time you get bored, could you please go for the image that's on the first post? That's the one I really want to work on, and I just can't figure out where the rivers should go.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast