Thread: First Attempt at a Regional/World Map

Post First Attempt at a Regional/World Map

Hi all

I normally confine myself to floorplans for use in RPGs but all the amazing things I see here have inspired me to try my hand for the first time at a world/regional map, using the GIMP.

This really is a first time so any pointers would be greatly appreciated. In particular does anyone know of a resource where I can get all those small standard mapping symbols, that you see in modern atlasses, eg. mountain peaks as mall red triangles? Also does one normally add rivers free hand, or is there some sort of recognised algorithm to bring them into being in the correct places (I wish).

Thanks in advance.
    Torq
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	firstattempt_208.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	317.2 KB 
ID:	507  
    The internet! It\'ll never catch on.

Software Used: Terranoise, Wilbur, Terragen, The Gimp, Inkscape, Mojoworld

Off to a great start! My only comment at this point is that you applied too much blur. Blur is a very useful thing, but too much is a bad thing. Try backing off of it a bit.

As for symbols, you can probably find a map or two that has them on any of the major world maps site and then just cut them out and turn them into transparent PNGs that you can plop down in the map. Or heck, just trace over them in another layer and then toss out the map layer. That would probably be easier given the simplicity of the symbols.

Rivers are best drawn by a shaky hand. There is at least one tutorial on these very boards that go through the creation of a river system in a regional area.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Professional Artist

I like the terrain effects, they are very nice. You will probably wish that your water was a lighter color when it comes time to add labels.

I would definitely draw rivers by hand. Automated river placement never looks particularly realistic. As for symbols, gee, isn't it kind of easy to draw a small triangle and copy/paste around your map?

Good luck,
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by RPMiller
    Off to a great start! My only comment at this point is that you applied too much blur. Blur is a very useful thing, but too much is a bad thing. Try backing off of it a bit.
    I though that too until I looked at the image full size. It isn't blurry, just BIG, and when viewed in a scaled mode looks blurry, especially the shoreline.

-Rob A>

D'oh! You're right! My bad. That's what I get for trying to visit websites before I'm even awake. LOL Ok, disregard my previous statement.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

That's a very nice start, Torq.

Search the DJ forums for a set of Harn-style map symbols. They might come in handy for this.
    Looking for battlemap creation software that can be used to create gorgeous print-resolution output on Windows or Mac OS?
    Give MapForge a try.

Guild Member

Can i ask what programme you are using to make this kind of map ?

Sure nichollsr, I'm using the GIMP for most of the work. The height field is exported out of an app called mojoworld, then modified somewhat using the Gimp and then added as a bump map to the ground texture.

Torq
    The internet! It\'ll never catch on.

Software Used: Terranoise, Wilbur, Terragen, The Gimp, Inkscape, Mojoworld

Quote Originally Posted by heruca
    That's a very nice start, Torq.

Search the DJ forums for a set of Harn-style map symbols. They might come in handy for this.
    Here is the link:
    http://dundjinni.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=7051

-Rob A>