Thread: Excel Name Generator

Post Excel Name Generator

Well I decided to create a name generator for anyone who wanted it. I wanted to allow greater customization than I have seen in most generator's though so I went with randomization of single characters based on user input. The randomization characters are & for consonants and ^ for vowels.

So typing &^^&son's point might get you something like: maorson's point

Anyhow the zip file is below. It's an excel 2007 macro enabled file so you will either need excel 2007 or something else that can read an excel 2007 macro enabled workbook (I don't know if there are free readers out there for that).

Please check it out if you can and give me feedback.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    My Map Portfolio
    -----
    Unless otherwise stated, all my work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

That's pretty cool - thank you for sharing.

It was working well for me. I'd appreciate being able to auto-generate an increased number of each word format (e.g., 10 of each structure you define)....
    Last edited by guyanonymous; 07-25-2009 at 01:30 AM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Neat idea, thanks for sharing.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by guyanonymous View Post
    That's pretty cool - thank you for sharing.

It was working well for me. I'd appreciate being able to auto-generate an increased number of each word format (e.g., 10 of each structure you define)....
    That can be done within excel itself using the fill handle. However as that is a useful feature I have uploaded below an updated version that will do 5 names per entry. That means that if you fill out the first column you could generate 50 random names.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Nomadic; 07-25-2009 at 05:15 PM.
    My Map Portfolio
    -----
    Unless otherwise stated, all my work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Thx for ur really nice excel macro. I work on it for add more precisions on phonemes (2 types of vowels, 2 hafl-vowels and 5 types of consonants).
    And i search for introduce variable frenquency but i see u had allready done with ur consonants.
    I do all that for creat specifics phonemes for a new langage (for my med fan world).

still thank you !
    Last edited by Demokos; 09-06-2009 at 11:12 AM. Reason: more