Thread: DM Map Markers

Post DM Map Markers

While making maps for my D&D campaigns I found that I commonly wanted/needed a way to tell myself information that the players did not have access to that would not require me to make too many other clicks. So I eventually decided to make some map-markers that would represent all the information I could care to know about.

I should also mention that I am a patron of the program Maptools and that these tokens are intended to be placed on the hidden layer where only the DM can see them.

Furthermore, in Maptools (in case you weren't aware >.< ) if you double-click on an image that was dragged and dropped instead of drawn as a tiling texture, then you can enter in text in the 'GM Notes' section. If the image is not on the token layer, and there is some text either in the ordinary text field or in the DM notes field, then when you click on the image a text box will appear that shows the information you previously input. I use this function to detail traps, hazards, puzzles, or whatever else as need be.

Just in case you don't want all of them at once, I have taken the liberty of uploading zip files for each category as well as for all of them together:

Map Markers (All):
    Map Markers.zip

Difficult Terrain:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Difficult Terrain.png 
Views:	230 
Size:	13.5 KB 
ID:	59312
    DC of Terrain = Movement Speed/ Level on Marker, if Level = 1 then movement is not inhibited but terrain warrants a balance check if run upon
    Difficult Terrain.zip

DM Objects:

Name:	Trap.png 
Views:	897 
Size:	16.4 KB 
ID:	59316Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Monster Encounter.png 
Views:	335 
Size:	18.3 KB 
ID:	59317
    DC of Trap = Level on Marker * 5
    Relative DC of Monster Encounter: 1-3 = lower than the party's level, 4-6 = higher than the party's level
    DM Objects.zip

Environmental Hazards:
    Enviromental Hazards.zip

Locked Doors:

Name:	Locked Door (Lvl 1).png 
Views:	231 
Size:	13.0 KB 
ID:	59313
    DC of door = Level on Marker * 5
    Locked Doors.zip

Miscellaneous:
    Misc.zip

Normal Doors:

Name:	Doorway.png 
Views:	120 
Size:	15.4 KB 
ID:	59319
    Normal Doors.zip

One-Way Doors:

Name:	One-Way Door.png 
Views:	276 
Size:	14.5 KB 
ID:	59318
    One-Way Doors.zip

Puzzles:

Name:	Puzzle.png 
Views:	170 
Size:	14.4 KB 
ID:	59314
    DC of Puzzle = Level on Marker * 5
    Puzzles.zip

Shops:

Name:	Shop.png 
Views:	250 
Size:	14.8 KB 
ID:	59315
    Quality of Shop = Level on Marker *5
    The higher the level of the shop, the more goods AND/OR the better quality of goods sold there AND/OR the better prices found there.
    Shops.zip

Source Markers:
    Source Markers.zip

Stuck Doors:

Name:	Stuck Door.png 
Views:	109 
Size:	16.6 KB 
ID:	59320
    Break DC = unspecified
    Stuck Doors.zip

Trapped Doors:

Name:	Trapped Door.png 
Views:	191 
Size:	14.1 KB 
ID:	59321
    Trap DC = unspecified
    Trapped Doors.zip

I may also add some in the future too.

Enjoy!
    Last edited by Altrunchen; 11-25-2013 at 11:08 AM.

Would anyone care to give some feedback on these by any chance?

They look pretty good, can't say how they feel and work though as I haven't been able to use them do to my players schedules.

It's good for a modern campaign but for a medieval one, they should look more ancient. I mean, they would look too clean for the era.

And what is a one-way door ? Some sort of trap ?

Quote Originally Posted by Azelor View Post
    It's good for a modern campaign but for a medieval one, they should look more ancient. I mean, they would look too clean for the era.

I think I know what you mean in terms of not looking ancient enough. Like how the map-markers in Skyrim are stylized after Nordic knot-work and so on. But the purpose of these is to be informational and easy to distinguish so that the DM can know what he/she needs to know just with a passing glance. Also, most of them wouldn't be visible to the players anyhow.

And about one-way doors, that's something I myself struggle to understand. But apparently it's a thing in D&D dungeon design. I think it's like one of those doors in Zelda where you walk through and then bars close on the door behind you. That or it's magical and you can't go back the way you came in. In terms of actual design it doesn't make much sense to me either, but I figured that someone (myself included) might want to use them at some point so yeah.

---

Looked up one-way doors. It basically means a door that can only be opened from one side. Which is kind of silly since all the party has to do is put a wedge underneath the door and they're set. Perhaps a revolving door that is operated with either magic or a mechanical system of some sort or even a combination of the two would be a neat way to look at it?

Quote Originally Posted by Azelor View Post

One-way doors have many ways of being implemented. Say a magical/scientific portal that goes one-way, a trap that when triggered bars the door, the other side of the door has no handle/functional mechanism to open from that side, trap triggering a cave-in, or a turnstile, just to name a few. Basicall think of it as a one-way mirror, but instead of light, physical matter goes through it.