Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Calligraphic Map Symbols

Post Calligraphic Map Symbols

EDIT 4/8/2014: IMPORTANT!
    These brushes were initially released under a noncommercial license; they are now free for any use -- including commercial works -- with the sole condition that you give credit where credit is due when convenient. If you use these and post the art here or on a website like deviantART, just mention somewhere in your description where you got the brushes so that someone else can use them if they like them. That's all I ask! Thank you for all your support. <3

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
    -----------------------------------------------

Mostly map icons drawn by yours truly in Photoshop, but this set of brushes also includes most of the other brushes I use.

These are all drawn by mouse with a 7 pixel flat calligraphy brush (though some of them have had a pixel or two shaved off....)

Thank you for all the compliments! Please enjoy!

Preview:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	brushes-preview.png 
Views:	2833 
Size:	331.0 KB 
ID:	21880

Includes:
    --7 of each: trees, pine trees, marsh grass, round hills, and sharp hills
    --9 rainforest-style trees
    --4 jungle plants
    --3 of each: forest, pine forest, mixed forest, marsh, and swamp "blocks" (based on this wonderful tutorial)
    --10 town/city markers
    --sea dragon
    --compass rose
    --large and small "falling stars"
    --flat 7 pixel calligraphy brush (from Photoshop's Calligraphic Brushes)
    --round brushes of various sizes
    --drippy water brush (from Photoshop's Wet Media Brushes)
    --watercolor textured surface brush (from Photoshop's Wet Media Brushes)
    --watercolor textured surface brush with color jitter
    --jagged-edged brush that I used for the trees and roads in Fellwick
    --a "wooden planks" sort of texture that is based on Ascension's thatching brush in this thread.
    --dashed line brush (square 16 pixels, 35% roundness, 135% spacing, angle jitter: direction) *this has been fixed*
    --dotted line brush (round 7 pixels, 170% spacing)
    --squished dotted line brush (elliptical 16 pixels, 35% roundness, 350% spacing, angle jitter: direction)
    --three logo brushes (feel free to delete these - they are there for my own sake, so I don't lose them)

Download:
    ravenbrushesv3.zip

Edit 1: Uploaded the brushes. Thanks for all the kind responses. I forgot, there's also the "Watercolor Textured Surface" brush from Photoshop's Wet Media Brushes, and a brush called "Dual Color Texture" which is the same brush, but with foreground/background color jitter. (I use them for coloring and making textures like the example here.) My logo's in there too, just for my own sake, but you probably don't want that. You can feel free to get rid of it.

Edit 2: Added to and uploaded more brushes. Please delete the logo brush that came with the previous set (if you haven't already) as it is outdated and was (accidentally) made with a font that I did not have permission to edit. (I actually fixed that months ago, but apparently I forgot to save the correct logo into the set of brushes I'd been using. I've fixed it now, but please delete it if you still have a copy.) I'll upload a picture of the new brushes, but I wanted to fix that error as soon as possible. (uploaded)

Edit 3: So sorry! The brushes have been fixed now! Evidently I'm having problems saving over a brush set with the same name. Mostly, I'm sorry I took so long to fix it! It should work fine now. If it doesn't, let me know and I'll fix it right away. (Fixed, finally!!)

Edit 4: Added a number of brushes that I used on my Fellwick map, as well as the long-lost jungle brushes from my map of Shalyeun. I also organized them. Feel free to delete the (undoubtedly annoying) organizer brushes, and as always, my logos. Those are there for my sake, so I can keep track of things, heh. (Especially after I've remade this brush set five times because of various computer issues. It's nice to have it immortalized on the internet.)
    Last edited by StarRaven; 04-08-2014 at 01:24 AM. Reason: (Changed CC licence to one that allows commercial use!)

Nice looking symbols you have there. I especially like the trees.. you could btw add one forest type there, mixed one.

For things like these you get rep from me
    We love brushes and symbols over here. We can't have enough.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Neat stuff...
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I'll certainly be waiting for the upload cuz I always like to take these things out for a test drive.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Very nifty!
    "Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government."

My Albums - My Portfolio

Thanks, all! I'll update this if/when I add more brushes.

Quote Originally Posted by Jykke View Post
    Nice looking symbols you have there. I especially like the trees.. you could btw add one forest type there, mixed one.
    That's right! I wanted to do that but I've been forgetting. And maybe a little lazy, too.... I should probably make a mixed marsh/forest block for swamps, too. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Gandwarf View Post
    For things like these you get rep from me
    We love brushes and symbols over here. We can't have enough.
    Good, because I love makin' them!

Very nice! Lovin' those waves!

Downloaded, unzippied and playing with them already

Rita

Quote Originally Posted by ritalee76 View Post
    Very nice! Lovin' those waves!

Downloaded, unzippied and playing with them already

Rita
    Waves?

Thanks! Have fun and please let me know what you think!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast