Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: What are you listening to?

Mount Savage, MD, USA, North America, America, Earth, Sol, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group.

Oh DUR DA DUR, sorry wasn't thinking well that just gives you the idea I geuss. again sorry. sorry. heres a happy song: "What do you do with a..." crud no that doesn't work OH, darn no, Okay theres about no Pirate songs that are appropiate, most are innuendous in some way. lol. sorry. again. I'll just go over here *goes to corner*
    "The Enemy's Gate Is Down" - Ender Wiggen, Ender's Game, Orson Scott Card

Software Used- ME v16, My Hands 1.0, My Brain

All Maps are either Copyright J.L.Odom and Bardic Fire Studios or under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 United States License (Note it applies to all countries even though it's United States)

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Anna View Post
    Ok I can tell I'm getting a bit old

Metal isn't my thing at all. When I'm mapping I want to listen to music which sends my mind mind to fantasylands. Film soundtracks, Classical, ambient music, gregorian

Among my favorits:

Era, Enigma, Vangelis, Dagda, Mark Knopfler.

Right now it's El Greco by Vangelis, a masterpeice to get my inspiration flowing.
    Check out Rhapsody...Its heavy metal...but it will take you to fantasy lands...

As a matter of fact...they do a song with Christopher Lee...he's amazing...here's links.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=8KPZJg5g7M8 - The Magic of the Wizards Dream (slower peaceful song with Mr. Lee on Tenor)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=YEMeBTmiX4g - Unholy Warcry (heavier song but rich with story and power...Mr Lee Narrates.)

Rhapsody has been telling the same epic tale since their beginning...its quite epic. They even have an older album with a nerdy "Lispy speaking DM guy" narrating...its funny...EVERYONE should check them out.
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

That's Funny

To me METAL ALWAYS takes me to fantasy lands, with songs like the following:

Savatage's The Sirens Dealing with the Greek Myth of the Sirens
    Judas Priests: Night Crawler About a creature of horror tormenting a town

And then my personal favorite: The Entire album for King Diamond's Abigail which is a concept album, or where the entire album is one story and each song is a separate chapter. Abigail is gothic Horror set in the 1700's about a man who inhierit's his grandfather's mansion but his young bride is possessed by the spirit of his grandmother's unborn bastard child 'Abigail'

The lyrics can be found here: http://www.darklyrics.com/lyrics/kin...abigail.html#1

Though I will admit, King Diamond is not to everyone's taste, even amongst us metalheads

But Metal is one of the few musical types which draws immensely on the myths and legends of Fanatsy and History. Weird really.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Sheesh, I've been lurking and not posting.

Lately doom/drone and industrial.

Nadja
    Cruciform Injection
    I:Scintilla
    Hanzel und Gretyl
    American Head Charge
    Defcon
    Rammstein

I suppose that goes just fine with with doing maps of the bleak far future.
    Adam Watts

Mount Savage, MD, USA, North America, America, Earth, Sol, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group.

Woot Das Rammstein. Technoviking Love Rammstein.

All Maps are either Copyright J.L.Odom and Bardic Fire Studios or under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 United States License (Note it applies to all countries even though it's United States)

Quote Originally Posted by Anna View Post
    Ok I can tell I'm getting a bit old

Metal isn't my thing at all. When I'm mapping I want to listen to music which sends my mind mind to fantasylands. Film soundtracks, Classical, ambient music, gregorian
    I quick like film scores/soundtracks for inspiring the creative juices when I'm working on my AD&D/fantasy games. I would recommend the following...

Film Soundtracks:
    • Conan The Barbarian Soundtrack
    • Kundun Soundtrack by Philip Glass (Tibetan chants and drums - it has an ethereal quality to it)
    • King Kong Soundtrack (new version)

Classical Music:
    • Holst's The Planets (especially good for SF games)
    • Four Seasons by Vivaldi

Ambient/Techno (especially good for SF inspired games):
    • The Orb (anything but especially Orbvs Terrarvm)
    • Eat Static

Medieval Stuff:
    • Mediaeval Baebes (especially good to watch and listen )

That's off the top of my head.
    Cheers,
    Tim

Paratime Design Cartography

"Do infants have as much fun in infancy as adults do in adultery?" - Groucho Marx

Lucky, Having the Kundun Soundtrack.

More great things for sci fi, Halo Soundtracks particularly the Third one. AMAZING stuff by Martin O'Donnell, Chopin (Did a great piece called "Raindrops" Which was used in the Halo 3 Believe Ad Campaign), The Mass Effect Soundtrack, has the same great feel as some of the late 70's and 80's Epic Sci Fi's.

Hey Medievel Baebes, they were at The Renn Faire Last year, filled the entire area up.
    Last edited by Arkkeeper; 06-10-2008 at 08:30 AM.

Right now I'm listening to Elend - The Luciferian Revolution. But I generally listen to a very wide range of music.

Letzte Instanz
    Project 86
    Loreena Mckennitt
    Midnight Syndicate
    Ravi Shankar
    The Beatles
    Streetlight Manifesto
    Demon Hunter
    Crüxshadows
    Rammstein
    Lacrimosa
    BlutEngel
    Corvus Corax
    Saviour Machine
    She Wants Revenge

Really all over the place there. I tend toward the more instrumental music when I'm doing world design.

Birds! There are birds outside my window! We've had a bunch of little yellow warblers move into the neighborhood (haven't discovered what they are yet!), and they looooove to sing!

I am, otherwise, with Anna:

Metal isn't my thing at all. When I'm mapping I want to listen to music which sends my mind mind to fantasylands. Film soundtracks, Classical, ambient music, gregorian...
    Music from The Gladiator, Brotherhood of the Wolf, LOTR, anything by Vangelis, as well as:

Enya
    David Arkenstone
    Mannheim Steamroller
    Lisa Gerrard
    Loreena McKennitt
    Clannad
    Balligomingo
    Conjure One
    The Paul Schwartz Project
    Delerium
    The Alan Parson's Project
    Bond (the 4-girl group, not 007!)
    The Planets

And I, too, like the instrumental stuff when I'm trying to do art or write.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456