Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you listening to?

Professional Artist

Post What are you listening to?

Sonic Youth - "Drunken Butterfly"

We have 'Classic FM' which is a classical music channel playing all day on the radio - I'm sick of it - it repeats itself endlessly.

Felicity's gone to bed, I've turned the radio off and I can hear the hum of the computer fan and some fireworks going off in Kew Gardens.

Most of the time I'm happy with silence. I'm not one of those people that can listen to music and think at the same time.

Ravs

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Iced Earth - Overture of the Wicked

I'm a HUGE fan of power metal...I'll be listening to Kamelot - Ghost Opera soon...I don't know how you can be a fantasy role playing gamer without liking power metal...

Look up these bands on youtube or something:

Kamelot
    Iced Earth
    Rhapsody
    Blind Guardian
    Cellador
    Demons & Wizards (which is basically singer of blind guardian and guitarist of Iced Earth)
    Nightwish
    Sonata Arctica
    Savatage
    ManOWar
    Crimson Glory
    Dragonforce (FAST guitar)
    Dream Theater
    Leave's Eyes

They all have different sounds and different speeds, so check all of them out even if you don't liek the first couple.
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

Quote Originally Posted by Arcana
    Dream Theater
    Hm... I like DT, so I may just have to check out the others you mentioned.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

[quote="Arcana"]I'm a HUGE fan of power metal... ...I don't know how you can be a fantasy role playing gamer without liking power metal...

*Don raises his hand*
    I don't know how either, but I'm among that number who dislikes it.

Me, I'm a ginormous alternative country fan. If you've never heard of alt-country, you're missing out; radio "top 40" country is like its degenerate, ugly stepsister with too much make-up & a beehive wig; it's like a beautiful, kind, loving woman with a good sense of humor in comparison to Paris Hilton; it's like... Oh, well you get the idea.

My favorite is Ryan Adams & Whiskeytown.

PS: If you haven't discovered it already, check out www.Pandora.com ---you'll thank me for it. An on-line jukebox that plays music to your tastes, no matter what those musical tastes may be. Amazing, free, and amazing, and free.
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

I checked out pretty much ever band you listed. Some of it harkens back to 80's stuff. No, not the bubble gum stuff but the more musically/musician oriented stuff that never saw much play on radio stations. I'm not much for nostalgia though so I was more drawn to the newer sounding bands.

Nightwish and Leave's Eyes were my favorites of those you listed and I found another that you didn't mention that I liked alot. Lacuna Coil.

Thanks for posting the list by the way. At the very least it gave me some new music to listen to.

*resists the urge to saturate anything labled "country" with sulfuric acid*

In the interest of open mindedness, I might just check out your link too pyr.

*vacilates*

For an alternative (and quite cynical) take on country check out Alabama 3 if you havn't yet. Wow.

Torq
    The internet! It\'ll never catch on.

Software Used: Terranoise, Wilbur, Terragen, The Gimp, Inkscape, Mojoworld

Hey, guys, I completely understand the tendency to shirk country; until I found alt-country I largely felt the same (although the sillines & hypocracy of "deep" music either makes me laugh or roll my eyes 90% of the time...).

In fact, many alt-country acts themselves feel disgusted by "country music" too--hence the reason they are "alternative." Our local Michigan State University college station has a huge following for its alt-country show, and while I no longer have much in common with the 18-21 age bracket, we do agree on this.

PS: What a great thread. Thanks for starting it, Rob!
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

Professional Artist

Oh man, on some other boards this thread is usually just one song at a time - like what I posted - but I like what you all have done better.

So I'll join in.
    I like spiky, noisy, guitar-based music. Right now I'm on a major Sonic Youth kick, but I also like Polvo, the Joggers, the Hives, and other bands like that. My most recent band Sea Bus!!! broke up when our drummer moved to New York, but I've got a couple of leads for new bands to join.

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

My current band is just starting out to do some original material...even though I'm more of a metal head, with emphasis on power-prog...the band I'm in is more of a modern rock cover band...we're getting ready to start doing something a little more heavier though with our originals, but it will still be club friendly. What do you play? I play drums. my band is http://www.myspace.com/3rdgearpcola
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast