Thread: The World of Bloodmyr

Wip The World of Bloodmyr

This is the world of Bloodmyr. The shape, size, and geographical layout is completed. It is a functional map -- it is by no means artsy or exceptionally pretty, though very functional and detailed.

It was actually completed in 2008, well before I joined up here.

I suppose that it can be still considered a work in progress based upon the non-artsy-ness of it. I could accept critiques on that.

Although I came up with all of the names without looking at other sources, if someone recognizes something that is already a part of another world, go ahead and let me know. lol Not really copyright infringement or plagiarism on my part, more of a "I named it something after the fact, not knowing that was already taken as part of something else."

Edit: I am also going to add the Shadow Caverns map. It is still highly under construction. It's basically the "Underdark" of Bloodmyr. (You can easily double the adventuring materials by adding an "underdark"-like locale. Sue me. ) It has VAST tunnels that connect the continents underneath the oceans, likely made by ancient dragons carving out new homes or perhaps by something much darker and sinister...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bloodmyre.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	1.62 MB 
ID:	15129   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shadowcaverns.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	514.0 KB 
ID:	15130  
    Last edited by kittrellbj; 07-25-2009 at 03:34 AM. Reason: Added further info

What software did you use in creation of this map ? Just curious.

Publisher Facebook Connected bartmoss's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It's a good start, but I do have two points of feedback/critique:

- You have several rivers that split up to flow into different oceans. That's not going to happen, really, and you should probably fix this.

- Also, the underworld map looks like the continents are floating above caves that are the exact same size and shape as the continents. I am guessing it is just incomplete, but of course large caves need support, and as it stands those continents should just collapse and sink.

Have some rep for posting your first map. It has a very unique style.

My largest nitpick are indeed the rivers, like bartmoss already said. Realistically rivers don't split as water follows the way of least resistance. Remember this is your map though, so you can do anything you want.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Quote Originally Posted by Jykke View Post
    What software did you use in creation of this map ? Just curious.
    It was done in Photoshop, drawn by hand. I started with the dark ocean, started drawing shapes with the marquee tool, and went from there. First, I filled with a sandy color. Then, Select->Modify->Contract of a few pixels, fill with green for plains or dark green for forests, and so forth. Mountain ranges done exactly the same way, keep contracting and adding different colors for height. (some hand correction was necessary, some of the contracts did some funny shapes) Probably not the most efficient way, but very simple and easy to control.

Quote Originally Posted by bartmoss View Post
    It's a good start, but I do have two points of feedback/critique:

- You have several rivers that split up to flow into different oceans. That's not going to happen, really, and you should probably fix this.

- Also, the underworld map looks like the continents are floating above caves that are the exact same size and shape as the continents. I am guessing it is just incomplete, but of course large caves need support, and as it stands those continents should just collapse and sink.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandwarf View Post
    Have some rep for posting your first map. It has a very unique style.

My largest nitpick are indeed the rivers, like bartmoss already said. Realistically rivers don't split as water follows the way of least resistance. Remember this is your map though, so you can do anything you want.
    Yes, I thought about that fact. The fact is that the background of the world indicates large, powerful nations that are very old and rather powerful. Some of the original rivers were expanded, dammed up in some places, released in others, and so forth to change the direction of the rivers (to aid in their trade networks, farmlands, communities needing water, etc.) Hardly any of the deltas featured on the map are naturally-occurring; most of them were created after centuries of river manipulation.

This is especially true of the Heraldan Theocracy. The Heraldan Channel runs east to west from one ocean to another, and was almost entirely man-made. It was created to allow faster travel from the ocean directly to the sea of pillars by a (unknown name yet) Guild. The pillars have runes scribed on them (hundreds of thousands in the Sea of Pillars) that have secret navigational instructions that allow those who know how to read the runes to get to the fabled Azuroth holy city.

But, I will stop boring you with history of the world. I may change around how some of those rivers run, though.

Edit: Yes, the caverns beneath the continent would cause the whole world to collapse. I will either make some changes (more support structure) on the map itself or have it understood that the entire space is not empty, it's just counted as part of the cavernous areas. I didn't want to draw thousands of tiny passages on there (mainly to keep players from knowing every path through it). I will have to figure something out for that one.
    Last edited by kittrellbj; 07-25-2009 at 06:39 AM. Reason: Commenting on the underdark