Thread: Hello all

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Post Hello all

I'm a DM for Dungeons and Dragons and I'm starting my first game tomorrow. My sister showed me this site, and I'm very excited to learn some tips about map making.

Thanks, I've already started browsing. Unfortunately, I'm in a bit of a time crunch. If only I'd found this place 2 months ago!

Anyway, I have a world map made (pretty pitiful compared to this stuff), but I don't know how to print zoomed in sections to see the details of the roads and such. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Welcome to the cartographer's guild.

Quote Originally Posted by Squee755
    I don't know how to print zoomed in sections to see the details of the roads and such. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
    Depends on the program you are using.
    My Map Portfolio
    -----
    Unless otherwise stated, all my work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

photoshop elements

Photoshop has a zoom & pan function in its print dialog. I dunno if Elements has it, though.

If you make a JPG, you can use any sort of page layout program to place, crop, and scale it. Even MSword will let you do it, or OpenOffice.

Worst comes to worst, in Elements, just make a copy(!) of the map, crop it down to the part you want to print, and scale it to fill a page.

Welcome to the Guild!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

The problem with zooming is overzooming, it will get all blocky looking. Plus, if certain details weren't there to begin with then zooming won't help...you have to work bigger in order to put in more detail or change the scale and do numerous images and "stitch" them together.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.