Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Need ideas for forum avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WidowMakers View Post
    Sure. I will try to make a little "mini" tutorial tomorrow. But to quickly explain, I just draw 1/2 the word, flip it, modify teh flipped shapes to look like the second 1/2 and then keep doing it till they look good.

There are a couple generators out there but they only do Old English and a script version. I will see if I can digup my old WM file and go through the process.

I'd love to see a tutorial on this. Those ambigrams look really cool. I hadn't even realised there was a name for them.

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    I'd love to see a tutorial on this. Those ambigrams look really cool. I hadn't even realised there was a name for them.
    Here is basically what I did I just did teh first time I made one. But I did not follow a tutorial. But this covers all the things I went throught. It is really jsut a bunch of trial and error. And really fun.

http://www.ambigram.net/tutorial/

I also have several in my picture albums.

Last edited by WidowMakers; 08-05-2009 at 06:42 AM.

Excellent tutorial, thanks! You really do need an artistic eye for this and I'm keen to give it a go. Would you recommend starting with pencil and paper and then moving onto a vector program to make the letter forms?

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    Excellent tutorial, thanks! You really do need an artistic eye for this and I'm keen to give it a go. Would you recommend starting with pencil and paper and then moving onto a vector program to make the letter forms?
    Paper and pencil is good to get an idea about if a word can work. But...I like to quickly move to Photoshop (or another raster program). That way you can quickly copy and rotate the letters.

I start on the left side of the word, get a 15 pixel brush (don't worry, the clean look comes later) and draw. Once I think my left side looks good, I copy the layer and rotate it 180 degrees. Then I see how these letters need tweaked to look better. Then I rotate that layer back and repeat (I save layers that I think are ok and do not want to mess up if I decide to go back).

After I have my word done, it is really rough. Then I saved the image and imported it into illustrator to really clean it up. I did Widow (by tracing the imported image) and then just copied and rotated it.

DONE! It took me about 3 hours of solid work (but much more rework and initial doodling to figure out what I was doing) to make it. I made the Diego names (in my albums) in about 45 minutes. And Darken here was about that as well.

Here is my rough .psd file that shows my steps to get closer to teh final set. Then I dumped it into illustrator (also attached)

Attached Files Attached Files

Following this thread with interest (I've almost got an 'Icosahedron' ambigram figured out ) I looked around the web for examples and I found one that neatly solves a perennial problem with maps of buildings.

Whenever you have a stairway, unless you are a master with shadows (I'm not), there is a difficulty deciding which way the stair goes. Even if you put an arrow on it, you still don't know whether the arrow is supposed to point up or down.

But I found a simple ambigram I can use:

dn

'DN' for down, but looked at the other way up, it says 'UP'.

It won't help the Shadowmasters, of course, (and those guys are as ubiquitous as the River Police) but it may be useful for my fellow novices to add this simple text icon to their shadowless stairways.
    Mapping a Traveller ATU.

See my (fantasy-based) apprenticeship blog at:

http://www.viewing.ltd.uk/cgi-bin/vi...forums&sx=1024

Look for Chit Chat, Sandmann's blog. Enjoy.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

That's a neat find...
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by Midgardsormr View Post
    Here, I made a picture of a ninja you can use:
    I thought that was an albino in a snowstorm.
    Cheers,
    Tim

Paratime Design Cartography

"Do infants have as much fun in infancy as adults do in adultery?" - Groucho Marx

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123