Thread: Dagger Rock

Post Dagger Rock

Hi All,
    I've been lurking these boards for some time and decided to post one of my recent maps, which is a modified version of the "Town of Dagger Rock" map that I grabbed off the internet. The software I use is probably considered to be obsolete by most people but it suits my needs as a casual mapper and, although, I have considered upgrading I haven't decided if it will be worth my while since cartography is just a casual pasttime for me. There is nothing fancy here: the layout was done with CC2, including the trees which were "mouse sketched", resized and copy-pasted; the labeling, background texture and the water coloring was done in Paint Shop.

I am unsure what TSR product "Dagger Rock" is from but the town layout caught my eye so I did a quick render of it for an upcoming ADnD adventure. I made a few changes to the original layout to suit my purposes, the main being that the dagger-shaped rock has been moved from the island (30) to the southern fields.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DaggerRock4b.png 
Views:	785 
Size:	542.4 KB 
ID:	15197  
    Last edited by Steel General; 07-27-2009 at 10:34 AM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Nice little map.

I've re-uploaded it for you to make use of the boards thumb-nail feature. That way people don't have to increase their browser window size unless they want to.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Novice

You do not use obsolete software. CC2 is just fine.

Very nice map - the trees are pretty. You should turn them into symbols, which is easier than it sounds, and you can re-use them easily in other maps.

Nice little village, have some rep.
    You can truly make CC2 sing

The trees are indeed very beautiful... would love to see them as symbols.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

A good map, cannot remember where Dagger Rock was though either
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Great map! You've avoided all the CC2 traps: the oversaturated default colour pallette and the temptation to use mismatched symbols among the two most obvious. Instead you've kept it simple and muted so it doesn't shout 'CC2!'. Most people try to make styles of maps out of CC2 which it was never designed to create (imo)

Excellent work and welcome to the Guild! Tell us a bit about yourself in the intro forum, if you're willing and I hope to see more of your work.

Thanks all, for the warm welcome, feedback, and rep!

Steel General: I knew there was a good reason for doing so, thanks for pointing it out!

Anomaly & Gandwarf: I've edited symbols before but never took the time to try to create them because it sounds complicated and I have a notorious tendency to gloss over manuals and tutorials.

ravells: The color palette is indeed atrocious which is why I usually modify my maps in Paint Shop. I am not sure what you mean by using mismatched symbols - I sometimes mix and match my symbols. I am sure I have fallen into many CC2 traps on earlier maps, but appreciating the maps displayed on this site and elsewhere has improved my technique. I'll submit an intro and another piece later.

I envision a westward view of the Dagger Rock to look like this:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	monolith-fields.jpg 
Views:	230 
Size:	84.2 KB 
ID:	15230  

Post tree symbol

This was my first attempt at making a symbol so let me know if there is a problem with it.
    Attached Files Attached Files